Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all

I'm new, my husband and I have been long in love with parrots in general and Tiels in specific, we see at least one in our future and are in the planning and learning stage, so that we'll be as prepared as possible when the time comes to bring home a feathered friend.

First a bit of background: I'm a cultural mediator for China, I often work in schools and hospitals and with the social services, I have long been interested in Animal Assisted Activities and my dream is to find a companion bird I could team with, so, both hubby and I are determined to go with an hand-raised Tiel.

There's a pet center nearby were they are very serious about the animals they have (I've heard the personnel refuse a sale because the would-be buyer didn't have the proper environment for the pet in question); they often have hand-raised parrots and we go there 'to say hello to the birds',they seem to like us (last time a lorikeet climbed us both and was utterly fascinated by my glasses).

We plan to go to the International Bird Fair in Reggio Emilia this fall, have a good look around and speak to as many Tiel breeders as possible, hopefully finding one who we like not too far from us, explain our projects and our hopes for our first bird and get to know each other till the time comes to bring our birdie home.

Would you say that's a good way to go? Any suggestions about what to look for as 'danger signals' in a breeder?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If the breeder doesn't let you go around their aviary or see the babies be wary of them. Also I find my girl to be calmer around new people. One of my boys is more loving though. And ask the breeders if you could spend time with the babies while they are being raised, now and then, so you can see how their personalities are, and they'll get used to you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts