Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
A cockatiel sleeps on a perch
There is no need to buy that but if they want they can go in it but I heard that it can make their breeding hormones high so I wouldn't really put it in his cage regularly but you can put it in his play gym or somewhere that he goes for some fun off of his cage
This is how my cockatiels sleep sometimes in the afternoon

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sunny sleeps on a perch. He has a Comfy Corner, which is kind of like the Cozy Hut but it rest on his perch and doesn't cover him completely. He actually doesn't use it like how they show in the picture (surprise surprise ;)) he will stand on top of it to keep his feet warm. Whenever its bed time he'll run up to his perch and get on top of the comfy corner and puff up getting ready for bed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ralph sleeps either on a perch or she'll sleep in a weird sideways position over her food cup so that she poops in it all night :mad:. She's never used a sleep hut, I worry that it would make her want to lay eggs (although she hasn't laid any before).

·
Registered
627 Posts
You don't need those sleeping huts. Those are for birds like lovebirds or parrotlets, who sleep in tree cavities or enclosed spaces. Cockatiels naturally sleep in the open on branches, so they either won't use the hut or will see it as a potential nest.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all :) Great, now I have a $23 sleeping nest I don't need . They had one in the cages for their birds and when I asked her what I need in his sleeping cage she totaly convinced me that I have to get it. It takes a lot of space up as well in his small sleeping cage :(.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Kona likes to sleep on a platform perch hubby made. I have 4 of them in the cage, but only Kona really uses them. Mica sleeps on either the bridge or just a perch.
You could probably use the hut on the play gym as already suggested. They might like to hang out there.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Kona likes to sleep on a platform perch hubby made. I have 4 of them in the cage, but only Kona really uses them. Mica sleeps on either the bridge or just a perch.
You could probably use the hut on the play gym as already suggested. They might like to hang out there.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ralph sleeps either on a perch or she'll sleep in a weird sideways position over her food cup so that she poops in it all night :mad:
Munchkin sleeps the exact same way! I swear there's only been half a dozen times in the last year when I've woken her up and not found her food dish full of poop.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine sleeps on me <_<

Either on my back while I sleep on my stomach or one of my arms.

Occasionally he sleeps on his perch :p

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Ralph sleeps either on a perch or she'll sleep in a weird sideways position over her food cup so that she poops in it all night :mad:. She's never used a sleep hut, I worry that it would make her want to lay eggs (although she hasn't laid any before).
SkiddleBum sleeps on her pyramid perch thing. :blush:

I also bought a happy hut but heard they weren't the safest and then its was confirmed that Skiddles was actually a girl and I was also worried about her wanting to lay eggs. LOL!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Dizzy...does your tiel sleep on you all night? I've never heard of anyone doing that with a bird.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Rocko is an oddball... he's slept on the floor of his cage since the very first day I got him. Actually I take that back. He would switch between the floor and his food bowl. He would sleep with his butt hovering over his non-hooded food bowl, resulting in a mound of poop in his food in the morning... I switched for a hooded bowl and now he always sleeps on the floor lol.

I know this usually means that a bird is sick, but he's always done it. He has slept on perches before, just for daytime naps, so it's not like he's incapable. He just prefers the floor I guess.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I love Rocko! What a cute bird and cute name!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Whiskey sleeps on one of his rope perches, in the U-shaped part of it.

What are people's thoughts on cozy corner type things? I've been thinking he'd really like one since when he gets sleepy on me he cuddles up under my chin. I know the huts are usually a no-no, so I'm wondering if the corners are any better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts