Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a cinnamon pearl pied hen and a lutino male, both are split whiteface and he is split pied and I think Pearl. I get a wide variety of mutations from them, lutinos, whiteface lutinos, Pearl and Pearl pied lutinos, normal greys, pearls, whiteface pearls, whiteface pieds. Do you need 2 cinnamon 2 get a cinnamon baby, does my male have to be split cinnamon for my pair to have a cinnamon baby? I have a pearl male now who is about 10-11 weeks old.. Is he a cinnamon??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a crush nana on pied hen and a lutino male, both are split whiteface and he is split pied and I think Pearl. I get a wide variety of mutations from them, lutinos, whiteface lutinos, Pearl and Pearl pied lutinos, normal greys, pearls, whiteface pearls, whiteface pieds. Do you need 2 cinnamon 2 get a cinnamon baby, does my male have to be split cinnamon for my pair to have a cinnamon baby? I have a pearl male now who is about 10-11 weeks old.. Is he a cinnamon??
Nope your pearl is just a pearl. Cinnamon only gets expressed when the father of the clutch is either split or visual. Cinnamon mothers pass on their trait to only male offspring in the form of a split. Since a male needs two copies of this gene to be visual, he must also get one from the father to be cinnamon. Daughters will only ever inherit this mutation from the father, never the mother. In the case of female offspring, only one copy of the gene is required.

So in summary: It is possible to get cinnamon chicks with only the father as carrier, but they will all be female. If only the mother is carrier, no chicks will be visual.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope your pearl is just a pearl. Cinnamon only gets expressed when the father of the clutch is either split or visual. Cinnamon mothers pass on their trait to only male offspring in the form of a split. Since a male needs two copies of this gene to be visual, he must also get one from the father to be cinnamon. Daughters will only ever inherit this mutation from the father, never the mother. In the case of female offspring, only one copy of the gene is required.

So in summary: It is possible to get cinnamon chicks with only the father as carrier, but they will all be female. If only the mother is carrier, no chicks will be visual.
Thank you, I think it would s safe to say my male is not split then , out of 18'chicks none are cinnamon.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
But his male babies are since mom is visual, so you could get cinnamon chicks from one of them. And if paired with a cinnamon female, you'd probably get a lot more cinnamon chicks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts