Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought some kitchen scales on eBay, they weight down to the gram and I just sit Squawks in it to weigh her. Vets often wrap them gently in a towel first if they don't want to stay in the scales, but you have to weigh the weight of the towel first so you don't include it.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I did the same as Siaarn- I bought a kitchen scale. I usually have to put a cheerio or some treat on the scale to get Sunny to stand on it long enough for me to see his weight. They do sell scales with perches attached but I think they're pretty expensive compared to a regular kitchen gram scale. (I paid $15 for mine.)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Kitchen scales are the way to go. They're cheap, and you can often get them at thrift stores or garage sales. If you wanted, you could even DIY a perch on one with a T-shaped perch and some glue.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My tiel and green cheek will stand on the scales themselves... sometimes my 'let will too but not always... to weigh the 'let and the budgies I place a small travel cage on the scale and tare it out... then pop in a bird and the weight displayed is the weight of the bird... my small birds are all unafraid of hands, but don't like to be grabbed, but if I go slow and steady I can reach in the cage and pick up the bird I want without upsetting them to much.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I use digital kitchen scales. They have a nice plastic container that fits on the top that isn't too high and it nice and wide and I sit our birdie in there. The thing is to get them to sit still long enough to weigh them lol.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
i use kitchen scales - put a teatowel in the bowl and 'tare' it. then i sit the bird on. it's not very accurate - i really want to get some digital scales sometime since they are more easy to read.

:)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My dad is a criminal investigator, and he claimed a gram scale during a drug bust once.

Guess who found a use for it.

(Also, Rocko stands on it himself with no quarrel. He can be smart sometimes. Sometimes.)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
My dad is a criminal investigator, and he claimed a gram scale during a drug bust once.

(Also, Rocko stands on it himself with no quarrel. He can be smart sometimes. Sometimes.)
Hahahaha! Go Dad.

I also use digital kitchen scales - its a chore as she always runs off it. Little turdburger. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts

Hope the scale is clean of any 'powder' residues ;)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I got the bird gram scale. The perch is fun. xD

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone :) I have normal scales but I couldnt get Zazu to stand on it. They're cheap anyway so I may buy some digital ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts