Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been offering my cockatiel kale, watercress, romaine lettuce, and cilantro (along with other non-leafy vegetables), but she seems to just nibble on them without swallowing. She'll tear off chunks and nibble, but most of it drops. With other kinds of vegetables (like broccoli, chillies, or sweet potato) I can see that she swallows some. Can you guys tell whether your bird swallows leafy vegetables? I've tried processing them too, but it's still the same.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
swallowing veggies

If your bird is chewing on the veggies, she's probably getting some. They do like to shred things! Also, maybe you can tell from her droppings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I'm hoping she's getting some when she chews on them. I'm still converting her from seeds to pellets so her droppings have always been green because of the seeds.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Have you tried sprouts? JoJo loved them and they are such a great food. My keet loves them too. I feed them daily. Even the most hardened seed eater will usually go to sprouts. Here is a good article on them: http://www.internationalcockatielresource.com/sprouting-for-birds.html
They would still eat some seeds but not a lot, and it was how I got JoJo eating veggies too. Just a thought!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link! I had tried sprouting some of her seed mix, and she does like chewing on the sprouts, but I never saw her swallowing them. Same with mung bean sprouts, she drops the bits she bites off. I'll try sprouting some other types and hopefully start seeing her actually eat them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My bird loves to shred veggies and throw them around so I know what you mean. I'll come back to find lettuce on the floor or bits of shredded carrots everywhere. He definitely does seem to be eating them, though, even if each bite is miniscule. I wouldn't worry too much and just keep feeding your bird fruits and veggies.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks for the link! I had tried sprouting some of her seed mix, and she does like chewing on the sprouts, but I never saw her swallowing them. Same with mung bean sprouts, she drops the bits she bites off. I'll try sprouting some other types and hopefully start seeing her actually eat them.
Here is the mix I use : https://sproutpeople.org/lil-bird-sprout-mix/
I would give them about a tablespoon full at a time. The sprouts are still in the husk so they "peel" them as they are eating it. The sprouts are all organic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts