Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious about how you spend "quality time" with your fid. I like to relax on my recliner with Bennie on my chest. He walks around, sometimes on my arm or hand and chirps or talks. If he's in the mood, he'll let me give him "Scritches" or tickles as I call them. When I do dishes, he joins me by sitting on my dish drainer and keeps me company. ( i have to keep an eye on him there; some dishes need a second wash!) If I am working in my apartment, sometimes he'll fly over and land on my head. I really enjoy my cockatiel's companionship!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My birds don't like me anymore :'( they only like each other. i'll sit them on my bed while we watch tv and we'll all just be on the bed together. Took Miley to the bus stop to pick up my kid today from the school bus since I was off work, she hates the harness, but she was very curious of outside.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pipoca is a wee little spud, he's only 5 weeks old now. When he sees me coming he runs around in front of his cage door and chirps. Sometimes he runs in little circles, it's so cute. After feeding him I spend about an hour with him, just talking and singing to him. I'm also trying to teach him some things, like how to give kisses. He likes to step up on my fingers and hands and tries to climb onto my shoulders and fly onto my head a lot. I believe he's a he but I haven't gotten him DNA tested yet. He just looks to be a he and he's very vocal. I'm quite certain he'll learn to whistle or maybe even talk one day, but I'll love him all the same even if he learns nuts. Today I asked my partner to hold him for a while because I needed to leave the room to get something and he immediately flew after me. Pipoca is a very endearing and lovely little one. He's only been in my life for a short while but I already can't imagine life without him. :) :pearl: :love:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Moon Dust is not hand trained yet. He likes to listen to music and whistle at us. We whistle back and are working on our bond with him. I assume he is a not. Ill have to get a DNA test eventually.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My bird was basically a wild cockatiel I got when I rescued her at about a year old. She’s now two years old. She’s about 75% trained. I often bond with her by simply talking to her. I’ll take her out of her cage and we’ll watch TV. She loves to spend time on her gym I bought her where we can watch TV or listen to music together too. She lets me know when she wants to go back in her cage as she’ll start making a lot of noise and start looking at her cage. She’ll climb on my hand and get back into the cage. I still will spend time with her after that. She loves when I’m simply in the room with her.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I have a mixture of hands-on and hands-off 'tiels in my flock. My hands-on 'tiels love perching on me (absolutely everywhere: on my head, shoulders, chest, back, arms, hands, fingers, even climbing up my leg, lol). Sometimes they will fight for position on my shoulder and I have to make sure they each have their own shoulder/human perch space. My special needs boy Coco can't get enough of head scritches and requires a large dose of them every day to keep him happy.

My hands-off 'tiels love interaction all the same, but in a different way. They will nibble some millet from my fingers but that's as far as physically getting close to them goes. They chirp back when I talk to them and react to my voice in a positive way. They generally enjoy my company but are wary of swift movements so moving slow around them when I'm changing out their food and water etc is key.

Shelby, my youngest and newest 'tiel, was fiesty early on but we soon got interacting with each other by talking and whistling, and he has picked up an extensive range of whistles and songs: some that my partner and I have taught him, some that he has picked up from my other males, and others he has made up on his own. All I have to do to get him to wolf whistle now is to make a kissing noise and off he goes, doing kissing noises in between whistles. He has gradually become tamer over time and will land on my shoulder and will almost let me touch him. He's come such a long way from the bad-tempered, fiery little guy he used to be! Honestly I don't even mind if he never becomes hand tame though, because interacting with him through whistles and words brings me plenty of joy. :wf pied:

·
Registered
46 Posts
My last cockatiel, Tye Tye, was very sweet. Didn’t care to be touched but when I left the door opened, he’d come flying to my head and would be happy sitting in my shoulder or fingers. Always wished he’d let me give him scratches and I feel I missed out. I had him for 15 years before he died of smoke inhalation during a house firein 2014. Had not got another until I hatched this egg 4 days ago. Hoping we will have an even stronger bond.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My last cockatiel, Tye Tye, was very sweet. Didn’t care to be touched but when I left the door opened, he’d come flying to my head and would be happy sitting in my shoulder or fingers. Always wished he’d let me give him scratches and I feel I missed out. I had him for 15 years before he died of smoke inhalation during a house firein 2014. Had not got another until I hatched this egg 4 days ago. Hoping we will have an even stronger bond.
I'm really sorry for your loss, that must have been devastating. All the best and good luck with your egg! I'm sure you will share an incredible bond with your new baby. :love: Out of curiosity, did you get the egg from a breeder?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cockatiels and windows

Hi all.......my tiel loves staring outside the window...he started this like 2 days back and he starts climbing up and perching on the window grill.... (the windows are closed)...i was wondering weather its ok to let him do that....will he feel like goin out???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry about ur tiel.....hope u find ur new tiel even more bonding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm really sorry for your loss, that must have been devastating. All the best and good luck with your egg! I'm sure you will share an incredible bond with your new baby.
Out of curiosity, did you get the egg from a breeder?[/QUOTE]

Thank you. No I Bird sat (one month) for a lady who had many birds in a bird room. They laid a few eggs on the floor and don’t take kindly to moving them. She said I could take them home and incubate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.