Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a breeder (not the one I got my cockatiel from) that I needed to start weaning my cockatiel and told me to decrease the amount of baby food given to about 6ml , increase the amount of seeds, pellets, fruits and stuff and feed her more often

But I was told by another cockatiel owner that I should be feeding her more ml's and feed her less often, all while feeding her seeds

I'm very confused. I've looked up advice online but I don't really know how I should wean her.

She already eats seeds and fruits but only sometimes eats on her own. I put fresh food along with seeds in her cage and she eats them sometimes.

I've been in the process of trying to wean her for about half a week or more.

Which approach should I take, the lessfood more often approach or more food less often approach? Any advice?

Registered
First of all, if you wean the chick that young, it is called force weaning, and it will cause plenty of issues in the future. Cockatiel chicks usually wean around 8 weeks old, but it can sometimes be even longer. At five weeks of age, you should be feeding the chick only three feeds a day and giving it plenty of options for seeds, pellets, and vegetables. I find the millet spray can be a very easy transitioning food from baby food to solid food but just make sure you don't give it all the time. So, in answer to your question, I would say that the second owner is who you should follow in that you should feed the chick more food but less often. I hope that helps. 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I've been feeding her 3 times a day at 6:30 Am, 12:30 Am, and 6:00

I checked her weight and she's 86 grams.

Registered
Yeah, no problem. Those times are perfect, and it sounds like she is at the right weight as well. 馃槉 As she gets older, just drop the amount of times feeding, but keep feeding her the full amount of baby food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts