Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so yesterday Little Dragon was offered [at separate times] egg, brown rice, and quinoa. Did not want a one. So far today he's been offered egg and vegetables. I actually held a hard boiled egg out to him and he just hissed at it and tried to bite it. He went right PAST the little bowl of veggies to get to his seeds stuff. I've tried putting the bowl right next to his food bowl, in the nasty plastic bowl he used to get food out of before I gave him these nice new metal bowls, right next to his favorite perch... I'm seriously running out of ideas beyond putting it right into his seed mix, and even there he's ignoring the dried banana and dried peppers.

Doesn't help that I'm super worried about him because besides waking to clean his feathers, eat and drink he slept pretty much all day. I know the day before was super stressful with the vet visit and all, but after finding out HOW bad his condition got to I'm just super worried about everything... He didn't even want to step up onto the dowel to come out and visit me yesterday, and so far today he doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot better, though I haven't tried convincing him to come out and see me yet since I figured he probably needs the rest.

Am I just being overly worried? I know he hasn't had much variety to his life in the past 6 years, but the first few days he seemed very curious and wanted to check things out and now he's not quite as much. That might partly be because of his giant new cage, but... I'm just worried.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
He does have a lot to recover from so it's not surprising that he's sleeping a lot. Hopefully he will be more energetic after he's had time to rest up. This isn't something to take lightly, but the lethargy might even be a sign that he's more comfortable now in his new home, and doesn't feel the the need to put on an act to fool predators. If you get too concerned about his condition you can call your vet and talk to them.

It isn't easy teaching an adult bird to eat new foods, but it can be done with patience, persistence, and creativity. I have tips on my website at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-conversion.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just keep trying. You will soon run into something he likes. Mine didnt eat anything but seeds forever, but now they like grasses, some weeds and broccoli

1 - 3 of 3 Posts