Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i'm here again to ask a piece of advice

My vet prescribed some antibiotics for my tiel, Cannella, which i have to give her orally twice a day... Obviously she refuses to eat it <_<

I saw some videos on how to handle it and drop the liquids from the side of the beak but my hands are too small to handle both the body and the head in the correct position! T_T

So i just stop the head from moving and drop some medicine in her beak but she doesn't swallow it and she just let it flow down... the times i forced her she would sneeze continuously.

I was thinking about mixing it with her food since i'm still handfeeding her, is it okay? Or will the meds lose effect?

I can't put it in the water because she doesn't drink it on her own yet..

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If she is eating all of the baby food you are giving her, that might work. Putting it in her water would not help because they don't drink all the water so she wouldn't get the full dosage. There's no one at home who can hold her for you so you can medicate her?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she is eating all of the baby food you are giving her, that might work. Putting it in her water would not help because they don't drink all the water so she wouldn't get the full dosage. There's no one at home who can hold her for you so you can medicate her?
I see, i just put the medicine on the spoon little by little on top on the food and she eats it! I was just afraid it would lose its properties if mixed with food.

Thank you for your reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts