Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The vet gave me antibiotics and something to help with slow crop. I have a 2.5 week old baby whose crop is kind of slow at draining. He said it's not serious but gave me meds to prevent it from getting any worse.

I haven't tried to give the antibiotics yet because it's a less frequent dosage. I've tried twice already to give the other med. The bottle it's in is a squeeze-type bottle with a small, stiff rounded nozzle. I asked the vet's assistant how to give the dose, and he said just to put the drops in the baby's mouth.

Do I need to wait for a feeding response? Should I aim the nozzle further in her mouth near her esophagus, or just put it on top of her tongue?

The vet said I could also mix the meds in with the formula, but the concern is that she doesn't get all the meds if e.g. a little is left behind and not sucked into the syringe or it spills when feeding.

I also have applesauce. Would it be bad to mix medicine with applesauce?

EDIT: I realized the vet was still open (I thought they closed earlier) so I called them and got some answers about administrating the medicine. But any thoughts about mixing medicine with formula?

·
Registered
885 Posts
My baby Zoe was 6 weeks old when I took her to the vet and was given antibiotics. I was given a small syringe to administer her medication, which I gave to her by picking her up and holding her so that she was facing me, and placing the syringe in her mouth on her left side (my right) and squirting in little bits at a time. We were both a little clumsy at first but after a few times we both knew how to handle ourselves (she had to be given her medicine 2x a day for 7 days).

I was told that mixing her medication with a little bit of formula or apple sauce would be okay if I could be sure that she'd get the whole dose down. She was a messy eater and I use a bent spoon to hand feed, so I just decided to stick with the medication syringe I was given. It was quick and easy and over in a few seconds. Plus she didn't seem to mind the taste which was helpful lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I tried to give her the medicine directly out of the bottle, but she started sneezing so I'm afraid she might have inhaled a bit. She was okay (though I will get it checked with the vet), but I don't want to try that again lest she aspirates. The bottle I was given is hard to get into her beak because the nozzle is quite big.

I spoonfeed, so I've gone with putting the drops of medicine on top of the formula after I put it onto the spoon. I can see it go into her mouth so I'm pretty sure she gets most of the meds.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think that would be the easiest way to give it to her. I know a lot of people with older parrots mix medication with fruit juice to get their birds to take it and i've done that with my rainbow lorikeet. He's a brat though and 'tastes' it first to see if there's meds in it.

I imagine it would be much easier with a formula fed baby because they're just ERMAHGERD FEED ME all the time and don't seem to care what is going into their mouths as long as it's SOMETHING lmao.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts