Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I get my cockatiel to eat fruit and veges? She's only around 8 months or so I think (maybe a bit older), I got her just recently. I put veges in her cage, (through the cage bars, and chopped up and put with some seed in her food dish to hopefully encourage her) but she doesn't eat them at all. She doesn't seem afraid, (though for a while after I put them in she avoids that side of the cage, but after a while goes so far as to perch with one foot on the veges/fruit) even pecked at it once, but hasn't done anything after that. She just doesn't seem to like it, or realize it's food.
Is there any way I can encourage her to eat the veges? I've still been putting some in her cage frequently in hopes she'll decide to try them out sometime, but so far no luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use baby food, and put it on toast.. Only small peices of toast and i try to get as much on it as I can so that there is more veggies then bread. Thats how i got my lexi eating carrots.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I hang veggies like a toy. I put it in the same place as I put the millet. They start to associate it with something fun and a treat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
show him how much YOU love them.

My boy Kosmo isn't a big veggie fan but if I perch him on my shoulder and show him the veggies by making fun sounds and saying "hmmm...that's good" and then eat it and make big eating noises he really want to see what all the fuss is about. It really plays into their unending curiousity and if they see Momma or Pappa do it then they can't resist!

·
Registered
2 Posts
How can I get my cockatiel to eat fruit and veges? She's only around 8 months or so I think (maybe a bit older), I got her just recently. I put veges in her cage, (through the cage bars, and chopped up and put with some seed in her food dish to hopefully encourage her) but she doesn't eat them at all. She doesn't seem afraid, (though for a while after I put them in she avoids that side of the cage, but after a while goes so far as to perch with one foot on the veges/fruit) even pecked at it once, but hasn't done anything after that. She just doesn't seem to like it, or realize it's food.
Is there any way I can encourage her to eat the veges? I've still been putting some in her cage frequently in hopes she'll decide to try them out sometime, but so far no luck.
My cockatiel is the same way!!!!! He won’t eat anything but seeds, and he got over 9 grams in weight! I put him on diet, but he won’t eat anything I’m giving him. He’s keeps following me around for seeds. How do I get him to eat fruit, veggies, and pellets?!.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I gave this advice to someone and she said it worked like a charm. You make the veggies just water, no salt or anything added. Then make enough for you to eat a bit infront of the bird. Let the bird see how you eat it, make sure you make it look like the best thing you've eaten, if the bird is on your arm etc it will want to eat what you are eating, then take out some of thier bowl and pretend to take a bite, trust me you will have the bird eating veggies In no time. Then what you can also do is make chop, so chop is a bunch of healthy veggies with a bit of seeds mixed with it.. that also helps.i really hope this helps a whole lot of you struggling with bird not wanting to eat veggies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts