Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my cockatiel (female) for a while now,and over a while I've been able to train her to step on my finger on command,however she usually refuses to do it unless I show her the treat and stick it through the cage bars. How do you think I'll be able to advance? I can't let her out of the cage since her wings aren't clipped and her cage is located outside (has lots of shade,though) and I'm not allowed to take her in until she is tamed. Any tips?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You should take the cage indoors ASAP, especially before you begin any training. What happens if you stick your hand inside the cage to change the food and water and she slips out and escapes? The main cage should be located indoors unless she lives in a large, walk-in aviary that is designed to be left outdoors. Once she has bonded with you and is comfortable with you, you can start training her to wear a harness or go outside in a carrier. You said she’s already comfortable eating from your hand, what you need to do next is (when you’re INDOORS) open the cage door and let her come out on her own, and if she does you can try luring her onto your hand with a treat. Repeat that until she will step up when you ask her to, even when you don’t have a treat. Always work at the bird’s pace and don’t force her to do it when she doesn’t want to. How long have you had this bird? Have you never let her out of the cage while you’ve had her? Cockatiels and other parrots (especially if kept alone) need to come out and interact with you in order to live a happy and satisfying life, not to mention they need exercise! Parrots are very social creatures and they need attention!! And how do you expect to tame and bond with her if you can’t let her out of the cage??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts