Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...make my tiel notice his new toy?
I bought him this toy http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131535793541 and I thought he would love it, but he just won't even LOOK at it, let alone play with it.
I tried to change position, put it in some of his favourite spots, but it is just like invisible to him. :(
It always takes him a while before he starts playing with new toys, but this time he doesn't even seem to perceive it at all... :(

·
Registered
885 Posts
Maybe you could put a small piece of millet in there? Millet always gets mine to notice new toys. Then when they're done with the millet, they start picking at the actual toy lol

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will try that. I have tried putting it next to his giant lollipop, so that when he sits on it he notices the toy, but nothing...
I have both millet spray and French millet, and French millet should be easy to attach to the toy. :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey has done that with a couple toys, so I will take the toy and toss it into the tub under his table for a couple months before trying again. That has worked for me, but it is frustrating to think of money spent for 'nothing. There have been a couple toys he just has had no interest at all in. I bought one Saturday that he usually demolishes within a few days (colored popsicle sticks and beads), but this time around he has only chewed one stick. Normally he will give up out of cage time to play with it. Suppose that one will go into the tub for a while.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember that when I bought his swing a long time ago he would not touch it, and now he won't get off it when he is in the cage. He seems to be a bit reluctant to changes!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another example is a scarf I bought for him because it is full of frills and I would not wear something like that... :) He ignored it for a long time, but now he does like to shred it...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey is slow to adapt to change too. Occasionally he will take to something immediately, but most of the time he needs a couple hours to a few days to study something and learn to trust it won't attack him. :D

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I, his biggest and currently favourite toy, was given the same treatment for about 10 days when I bought him! :lol:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Take him out of the cage and have the toy next to you and pretend he can't have it. Birds love things they can't have.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That toy is soo cool, my guys would love that! :p

I second the millet idea. My 'tiels tend to be afraid of new toys but after they've found surprise millet in them, they love the toy from then on. :D

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I am just waiting until tomorrow morning because he already had enough millet today! :) I think millet is the only thing he ever accepted immediately by the way.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have attached a tiny twig of millet to it anyway... Tomorrow morning he will get more!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Good luck, hope it works!! :)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
That's what I though. Haha. Try having it next to you while he's out. He may find interest. If not, maybe it's not his type of toy. Some birds like shreddable toys, some like noisy ones, and some like ones they can swing off of, and some like colorful plastic ones they can shake around. You just have to find the right one. Maybe it's too big? Some toys may frighten a bird if it's too big. It's all trial and error. I'm guessing you can return it to the company you bought it from?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, he just nibbled at the millet a bit by sitting somewhere else and stretching himself. Silly boy. Maybe he is really afraid of it. :(
Oh, he LOVES to shred EVERYTHING. He is a shredding machine. Just not his toy for now. I will wait until tomorrow and then try the other tricks.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See how he is? Today he discovered some paper they put in parcels to protect items (thick, brown paper). I usually keep it for him because it is nice to shred. I left it next to his cage, and sometimes in his cage, for weeks - totally ignored. Today he won't stop shredding it, and he is talking to it too! :) He decides when he wants something. He is the boss. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
HEHE, little silly boy. I just wait about 1 week and my girl goes from not noticing to playing. So the millet was a great idea and letting him not have it was another one. I say both and time.

Regards,
~Skye

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:):) Somehow it is nice that they are so unpredictable. When they finally do what they are supposed to do it is like seeing the first steps of a toddler. Such a nice surprise. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts