Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my cockatiel for quite a long time and I've been struggling to get her to eat anything other than seeds. I've tried leaving them close to where she likes to perch, putting them in a bowl for her to eat, I've even tried showing her that it's safe to eat. I don't think she knows that she knows that what I've been trying to give her is food. She won't even eat pellets, which makes me suspect that she might be addicted to seeds. I'm worried about her health, especially since she is a mutation. She hasn't shown anything bad health-wise, but I wanna make sure she lives a long healthy life! I'm planning on buying sprouted seeds because I've heard that they can help seed addicted birds get more nutrients, but I have a feeling that she won't eat those either. If anyone has any tips on how to expand her diet or anything I might be doing wrong I would really appreciate it!! Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is your cockatiel afraid of hands? If not, then this might work. My vet taught me a trick when I was trying to introduce my cockatiel to pellets. She told me to use my fingers to pick and drop the food you are trying to introduce, and at the same time click your thumb and index finger's fingernails together to make clicking sounds. The sound sounds like birds cracking seeds with their beaks. Since you are part of their flock, they might follow what you are doing.

So, I had Maki out on the table with the pellets I was trying to get her to eat laid out in front of her so she can see them, and did exactly what the vet told me to. To my surprise, Maki got curious and got up close to see what I was doing. When she heard the clicking sounds I was making by pretending to eat the pellets with my fingers, she also tried eating them. I used this method to introduce new foods to her and I can get her to try new foods most of the time. Now, whether she likes that food or not is another story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, maybe I should try that with our Sid. 10 weeks old hand reared but can’t get it to eat anything apart from seed, or millet, or sorghum. Won’t touch silverbeet or broccoli, even though was eating with the breeder.,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.