Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cosmo wasn't hand fed as a baby and wasn't tame and scared of hands when I first got him. We have came a long way since January when I got him. He happily steps up for us, eats treats out of my palm and will take a treat from my fingers. But the only time he will let me touch him is when he is relaxed in the shower. My boyfriend and I respect his wishes and don't touch him. We both wish he would let us touch and pet him, but we are okay with keeping that for our dog and not the bird.

A week ago he lost a feather on his wing and was bleeding. It took a long time to try to sneak a little bit of flour on the wound to stop the bleeding. Which really got me thinking that incase of an emergency he needs to let me or someone touch him!

Does anyone have any experience and some suggestions with getting a tiel that wasn't hand fed to let you touch them?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He is a mess! After I just wrote this post he flew across the room and lost another flight feather. He is bleeding again! ��

·
Registered
786 Posts
Will he come out of the cage when he is on your hand? If so, maybe you can sit with him and let him walk around on your lap, with food in your hand, or perhaps a toy...Milo doesn't let me touch him a lot except to give neck scritches, or hold him with him perched on my finger. But he will crawl all over my lap, and get up on my shoulders. I think it just takes patience.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well that is a start! I don't know but none of my birds like to let me touch them like that on their wings, or to pet them on their backs. I guess it just takes time...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For sure, but right now he is bleeding because he lost a flight feather when he flew off after I just made this post! It isn't a blood feather, but he picked at it and had blood all over his beak and it's like a crime scene when he flaps his wings. I can't see where it's coming from to attempt to put flour on it. This is the exact reason why I need him to let me touch him. My boyfriend is at work so I don't have anyone to help me check him out. I'm just praying he will be okay like the last time this happened

1 - 6 of 6 Posts