Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my mom bought a pair of lutino cockatiels yesterday i need to make a bond with them i knw they r good pets as birds bt i wnt sme tips to train them since i bought them yestrday i knw tht i need to gve them sme time to get fit with the new environment so yea help will be appreciated :grey tiel:

·
Registered
350 Posts
When the birds are a pair, they're not likely to bond to you the same way that a single bird would; a pair tend to bond to each other.

You can, however, be their good friend! Shower them both with attention, give them treats, and spend quality time with them outside of the cage. Are you new to bird ownership?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your new to being a bird caretaker, congratulations! Here are some tips for bonding with your tiels:

- Be gentle with them. Don't try to grab them immediately, poke them with your fingers, etc. cockatiels are animals that can be frightened easily by even the simplest of noises.

- Be patient. It takes patience for them to trust you. Patience and time are the key to earning your bird's trust.

- Don't ignore them. Try your best to have small talks with the bird, being near the birds everyday, or heck even reading a book to your bird. They are parrots; parrots are very social, so it is important for you to interact with your cockatiels.

- Also, as Lunawolfsong said, pairs will very likely bond with each other more than their owner, but they can still be affectionate towards their owner for sure! I have a pair and they are both pretty kind to me

Hope you have fun with your cockatiels :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
i wnt sme tips to train
Sorry, I missed this part the first time around.

Here are my suggestions for training your new tiels:

1. Start with taming. Do they step up? Do they let you touch them? Will they accept treats from you or eat out of your hand? If not, you need to focus on gaining their trust, in other words taming, them.

2. Once they are tamed, start with "step up", if they don't already know it. You can do this by holding a treat just close enough that they will go for it but far enough that they will have to step onto your finger to get it (you should hold your finger just a little higher than their feet, like around their belly). Once they've done this a few times, start telling them to step up while they do it so they begin to associate the command with the action.

3. After that, you can teach them pretty much whatever you'd like in whatever order you'd like. However, if you're going to keep them flighted, I would suggest teaching them "recall" next. This is when the bird flies to your hand. Start on a flat surface, because the birds are less likely to take the leap of faith from a perch, and start small. At first it should literally just be stepping up. Then, you can increase the distance so that they are stepping from the counter to your hand, then until they have to stretch to reach your hand, then until the have to jump a bit to reach it, then until they have to fly. Slowly, SLOWLY increase the distance in TINY increments so that their confidence isn't challenged and their success is guaranteed. You can even teach clipped birds recall; you just can't go as far away. I'm teaching Kirby recall :)

Some of the tricks that I've taught Kirby are: "come" (recall), "wave", "shake hands" "cuddle" (where he flies to my chest), "wings" (where he spreads his wings), "flap", "fly", "perch", "step down" and "target" (flying to a specific spot)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Check out our training section in the sticky library for some good tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts