Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We use natural, really fine sea salt for our food. It contains 74 trace minerals. When we put salt on our food of course some of it gets on the table. I sometimes let Jojo walk around while we are eating and I noticed him eating the grains of salt with quite an appetite, It looks as thou he was missing some sodium in his diet. Am I correct? or is it like kids and sugar,that it's never enough? Is it Ok for him to eat salt from time to time? or is it a complete no no.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
from everything I've read they don't need salt.

From our Quaker wanting our food when we eat, i've got into the habit of buying a lot of stuff that doesn't have added salt

like our pop corn for them (I can't handle their kind its gross lol) is all natural no salt no butter So when I make pop corn for me, or the kids to eat while watching t.v. I make the birds their own and they get theirs so we can eat ours in peace.

I've found crackers that had no salt, But he only gets a very small piece (so small he can barely hold it which makes him mad) But he knows it's all he's getting

if we're eating something with Salt, We bring something healthy for the Quakers

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I would not let him eat salt, whether it be natural or not. They do not need it if they are eating a variety of healthy foods. Unfortunetly, just like humans, when fed diets high in fat, sugar, salt, the body starts to crave those foods only so limit things that cause bad habits.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Here's an interesting bit of old-fashioned advice. Birds can get goiters, but unlike humans where the enlarged thryoid sticks out, with birds it presses inward against the windpipe. It can interfere with their breathing and cause wheezing.

The recommended cure was to give the bird small amounts of iodized salt, and I believe that I actually added several years to the life of one of my budgies this way. I'd lost another budgie several years previously who wheezed badly for months, so I recognized the problem when the second one started doing it. The first time I didn't know what the problem was and that anything could be done about it - avian medicine was basically nonexistent at the time. But then I read about it in a bird book. The second time around I sprinkled a little salt on the table and let her eat, and the problem cleared up. Every now and then it would start to come back, and the salt took care of it every time.

This advice is obsolete now of course. Pellets contain iodine, and a bird with an iodine deficiency can get medical treatment instead of being dosed with salt at home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts