Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here, but I've been lurking here and there when I have time.

This summer is proving to be a hot one so far, and this weekend is supposed to get up into the 90s both days. I have to work 9hour shifts both days and my boyfriend is out of town, so Schubert will be home alone. What are some tips I can use to keep him cool while I'm away?

A couple of things:
---My apartment doesn't have air conditioning. It's an old house split into units, and I haven't been able to afford a window unit on top of all my bills.

---So far I've left my windows and blinds shut, which is doing a pretty okay job of shutting out the heat. The wind outside this morning was hot and stuffy, so I see no use of trying to open the window for a breeze

---Right now I have a thick glass pie dish filled with about an inch of water at the bottom of his cage that he keeps happily wading in and out of. Would it be okay to set him up with a pie bath for all of the hours I'm away so that he can keep his feet wet, or would it be a bad idea to leave a container of water like that in his cage for 9-10 hours?

Does anyone else have tips to keep a bird cool in summer, or do I have a good grip on it until I can get AC in my apartment?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Keep doing what your doing for sure if it works. The pie bath is a good idea, as long as you change out the water regularly. It might also help to give him a little mist shower before you leave for work and when you get home again (just make sure not to soak him as you need to wait at least a day in between soakings). You could also buy a little electric fan to run and point it at his cage.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think it would be fine to give him the pie dish all day! Mine always bathe during the day in summer, so if I don't give them something to wade in, they'll squeeze themselves into their water dish, which obviously isn't ideal haha.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Maybe a fan too? I know we can get small ones that you can set in front of the cage for like 15 bucks. It will blow a breeze at him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the pie dish in his cage, and judging by the flecks of dust in it I assume he enjoyed it very much, lol. I could get a fan going for him when it's hot! I just wasn't sure if it was okay or not to have a breeze on him, or if he'd get sick on the ceiling fan above his head all day.

I think I successfully kept him cool this past weekend. Now it's cooled down a bit again and my boyfriend is back in town, so crisis averted! Now I'll have a better plan for when things get hotter again. Thanks, guys! =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts