Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure Cosmo is molting because he has been losing quite a few body feathers lately.
He has been so terrible the past few days. It's hard to not take it a little personal when my buddy is so mean and unhappy with me.
He has been screaming all day everyday and calling so loud that even the dog looks like it's bothering his ears.
Besides fighting with his toy, he is so angry at whoever approaches his cage. He just started to make a kiss sound and let me kiss him on his forehead when I first take him out. Now it's to a point he is so angry he yells and bites my hand/finger/nail when he is coming out. I ignore his bites and yells and calmly talk to him and continue on. He is just so unhappy.
I've taken him out but his nails have gotten so long they got stuck when he was walking around.
The first was for a scary solid minute on the rug. I was seriously worried, his foot was twisting up weird because he was flailing around. I tried to calmly talk to him and help him but he wasn't understanding and started yelling and attacking me. I had to ignore the bites and finally got him free.
He jumped on my robe this morning and got caught again. I'm scared he will hold this as a grudge and never trust me. He has been getting a lot of guilt treats lately...
I just needed to vent about my little buddy being so mean lately, it makes me so sad :(
He has a way bigger cage now with a play top so it makes it more difficult to cover him.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Molting can make them very grumpy as it stresses them a lot. It also sounds as though he is hormonal. Maybe you can find a larger blanket or sheet that allows you to cover his cage better. I have a very large cage also, and I had to buy a king size sheet, and I got it in a dark blue color, so it works well. Is there any way you can remove the play top at night? You can take them to the avian vet for a nail trim and they will show you how to do it at home, so you can do it. I did mine with a very small baby nail clipper. Hope this helps...it will pass and he will be your sweet little buddy again soon :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey is molting again. Molting and grumpiness seem to go hand in hand. It is hard on the emotions when you best little buddy goes into Velociraptor mode, hissing, nipping and occasionally biting.

Once things settle back to normal, whether due to molting, hormones, or both at once, they usually turn into their sweet selves again. Well. if they were sweet before. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the reassurance :)
He has been in a better mood today and yesterday. He even happily perched on my neighbor's daughters arm today and was talking and calling to her when I put him back in his cage.
He lost a tail feather last night so he is for sure molting. What sucks is I'm pretty sure he broke a different one right after because he flew down and crashed on the floor off the couch and it started sticking out :(

I thought molting and hormones were something that happens at the same time? How can I tell he is going through hormones?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Molting and hormones can happen at the same time, but they're still two separate occurrences. Molting can also put them in a bad mood because it's hard on their little bodies, and they're more tired and less active because of it. In terms of hormones, for males they can become aggressive with their toys or people and will try and find small/dark places to build a nest. To calm Cosmo's hormones you can reduce his daylight hours to 10, cover up any area's that are causing nesting behaviour and remove any toys that are bringing on hormonal behaviour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts