Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Hormone control help

844 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Klmp 
#1 ·
So far, for my female tiel's hormone control, I make sure she has 14hrs of darkness/sleep every night, I only pet her head, I house her separate from my male cockatiel (and only allow them out together when I can supervise), there is no material she can make a nest from, there is no nest, I never feed her any food from my mouth, I don't keep her food dish too full, and I have gravel paper on the bottom of her cage & not any substrate.

While this has helped a bit, she still points her butt at me and squeaks at me to make babies with her for like, 20-30 mins at a time (until I notice and cover her up in her cage) at least once a day (sometimes more). Is there anything more I can do to help control her urge to procreate?

She's 11mo old, adorable, fluffy & named Cloud. :wf grey:

#2 ·
Do you change her environment frequently? Move around perches, toys, and even the cage on a weekly basis? The idea is to make her think it's not safe to breed.

If these things aren't working, you can try 24 hours of light, instead of the 14 hours of darkness. This is will also throw off her breeding and is sometimes more effective on the more stubborn birds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.