Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiel is now almost 9 months old (got him at 2 mos. old) and I CANNOT get him to take a bath. I have tried several different size water dishes, finally this past week got him to actually go in one but just to quickly cross over to the other side and make his exit. So I resort to "showers" - spraying him, which he hates. Even getting him wet with spraying, he does not preen himself afterwards. He does preen several times a day - probably 4 or 5 - but never after a "shower". Anything I can or should do? :pied: He's doing a heavy molt now and I'm concerned for his skin being very dry. I do want to say I sure appreciate this forum and all the help I've gotten and all the informative posts on here - Thank you, thank you for doing this!!!!

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Just keep on spraying him. At some point he will learn to like it, and if he never does then at least he will be clean. My experience is that all cockatiels hate showers at first but they always learn to like it.

It works best if you spray an unwilling bird when it's in a small cage and can't run away from you lol. This isn't being mean to them - if they were wild birds they would have to get wet when it rained whether they liked it or not.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It's more common than you would think for 'tiels to hate taking baths/showers! :lol:

Some of my guys sulk after I spray them and just stand there motionless looking very sorry for themselves. They get over it after a while. Use warm water on a light mist and he might become more accepting of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts