Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im bringing Rocko to the vet tomorrow to get his stomach checked his skin in the area of the cut is brown and yellow im thinking it could be infected I hope he will be ok and im glad its not causing him any pain.Ill keep you guys updated on what happens next.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poor Rocko. Joey and I are sending scritches and good thoughts his way.
Thanks I'm gonna give him a nice shower tomorrow before we go to the vet it might clean his stomach a little.He's going asleep snuggling with Loki now.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Don't give him a shower if you think there's a possibility of infection. The stress of regulating body temperature when wet lowers their ability to fight disease.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't give him a shower if you think there's a possibility of infection. The stress of regulating body temperature when wet lowers their ability to fight disease.
Thanks for that do u think the vet will try clean it up.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It depends. If there's infection or dead tissue, it may need to be cleaned out. If not, it may just be a matter of preventative care until it heals.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It depends. If there's infection or dead tissue, it may need to be cleaned out. If not, it may just be a matter of preventative care until it heals.
I really hope its nothing serious im bringing him out to a big pet store that sells lots of parrot toys most if them are chewing toys so Rocko will probably like some.I thought there would be a lot of birds in there but theres not many animals just hamsters,Rabbits and fish and Sulphur crested cockatoo and a cute tame cockatiel I dont think any of the parrots are for sale though the cockatoo has a huge cage all to himself with lots of toys.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm confused. Is he seeing a vet at a pet store? Or is that a reward for after going to the vet?
No its just a big pet store that has a lot of toys for birds its a reward for after the vet im leaving soon.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He has an infection and its not healing.He said not to give him showers.He said he would probably need Antibiotics but he said to start with a cream first and I didn't bring enough money for the cream I was expecting that he was getting the Antibiotics.My mam said to try Manuka honey or the Aloe Vera what do you guys think.Or anything else that might help it heal.The vet also got my website name and a picture of Rocko for their website.He also said most birds that see him are untamed and there were two budgies there after me.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think that if the vet said he needs a prescription cream, then that's what he needs. If it's already been infected and not healing for several days, then it needs proper medication ASAP. Infections in birds can become very serious very quickly, so you don't have time to try things that may or may not work.

ETA: You should never put honey on an area with feathers. That will make him pick at it and worsen the injury.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that if the vet said he needs a prescription cream, then that's what he needs. If it's already been infected and not healing for several days, then it needs proper medication ASAP. Infections in birds can become very serious very quickly, so you don't have time to try things that may or may not work.

ETA: You should never put honey on an area with feathers. That will make him pick at it and worsen the injury.
He told me to wait a while and see if it heals and if not to come back and (try) the cream he said the cream might not work and he would need Antibiotics first.What about making a safe Antibiotic for birds my mam does all that for my little sister she has a breathing problem and my mam makes Antibiotics and the Doctor told her to continue doing that.And what about trying the Aloe vera and if he picks at it I can clean it off because Aloe vera and the Manuka honey is a natural healer.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How serious could something like that get.I took the day off school to get him to a vet and everybody is worried about him.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If he has an infection and it remains untreated and spreads, he could die. Personally I would never experiment with making medications for my birds. They are much more delicate than we are. I don't know how one would even determine what was a safe or effective antibiotic for them without being a vet.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If he has an infection and it remains untreated and spreads, he could die. Personally I would never experiment with making medications for my birds. They are much more delicate than we are. I don't know how one would even determine what was a safe or effective antibiotic for them without being a vet.
Omg no now im scared what if the cream dosent work and its too late for him to get the Antibiotics.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its been like this since last Saturday I only noticed it when Cracker came again the other Saturday just gone.My poor baby.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It would be a good idea to make arrangements with the vet to get the antibiotics quickly if you need them. For example, my vets will let me come by and just pick up meds without an appointment if they've already seen my bird and we just need to move on to the next thing in their treatment plan. You might call and ask if you could arrange something similar.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.