Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tiko pooped out these they look like worms but im unsure so I made a thread on another forum.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It looks like a dropping with a huge amount of urine, very little feces, and no urates. Since this is abnormal for her, and your other birds have recently had abnormal poop too, I would get a vet check for all of them ASAP.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like a dropping with a huge amount of urine, very little feces, and no urates. Since this is abnormal for her, and your other birds have recently had abnormal poop too, I would get a vet check for all of them ASAP.
To me it looks like worms its pinkish and I cant afford a visit to the vet with 3 birds Ill wait and see does anyone from the other forum know what it might be.And its very small to be a dropping her droppings are normally a splash that just drops.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Then I sincerely hope, for their sake, that they are not ill.

As someone who has two birds with chronic ongoing medical problems as the result of lack of vet care, I can tell you that it is far more expensive to treat an advanced condition than to get preventative care in the first place.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I sincerely hope, for their sake, that they are not ill.

As someone who has two birds with chronic ongoing medical problems as the result of lack of vet care, I can tell you that it is far more expensive to treat an advanced condition than to get preventative care in the first place.
Who has ongoing medical problems because if your talking about Rocko and Loki your wrong.And I know its more expensive to treat something if somethings actually wrong and that would be paid of course but going for a check up once a month or something I cant afford that and its stupid the way u have to pay just to get in the door.There is a normal vet that does check ups free it comes on thursdays and u can give them a small donation I think its called the Red cross.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
My birds have ongoing medical problems that will probably shorten their lives because their previous owners denied them vet care. I have spent thousands treating digestive problems that probably resulted from untreated parasites.

You may think it's 'stupid' that vet care costs money, but it is a necessary part of owning pets. Preventative care as well as when they're obviously sick.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
With all due respect I think it's silly to spend thousands on any bird!
I'm super silly then. I spent $3000 on one bird within a 6 months period...and guess what? She didn't even make it. And guess what else? I would've done it all over again. I'm not heartless and I love my animals unconditionally, and that requires spending some money when they're ill. After all, money is MATERIAL and an animal is a LIVING BREATHING THING WITH FEELINGS.

All due respect, it is just silly for you to even consider posting this comment here unless you are a TROLL or would like to be perceived as such.

I have plenty more to say to you, but I am trying to keep from turning my respect into hatred for you.

Edit: And you are planning to breed!? Do you even know how many things go wrong with breeding that requires medical care? Are you just going to let helpless chicks die because they have a crop infection and you don't want to spend money on them? I am sad for your birds and the chicks they produce.

·
Registered
59 Posts
More often than not the vet knows no more than we do yet there more than happy to take your money even if your bird dies. Just because the he's got that plack on the wall dosent mean he can fix your bird. You help send his kids to collage and I'll decide when it's time to go to the vet. I still believe no pet of any kind is worth thousands of dollars in vet bills.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
And that's exactly the kind of thinking that landed my rescue girls with the problems they have now. Fortunately not everyone feels the way you do, which gave them a second chance.

Your birds apparently won't get that chance, which is really sad for their sake.

P.S. It's hilarious how everyone in this thread seems to think it's ridiculous that vets want to be paid for their careers. I hope you all do/plan to do your jobs for free! Otherwise that would be awfully hypocritical!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Oh yeah, and I bet you treat them at home huh? Yeah that's great. Let's see what happens when your entire flock gets Chlamydiosis and you try to treat them yourself. You'll be digging a lot of graves. Or maybe you just toss them in the trash...they certainly wouldn't be worth the time and effort it would take to dig them a hole.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
More often than not the vet knows no more than we do
Before I call this done for good, yes, vets actually do know more than we do. In fact "that plack" quite literally means they have training you do not have, regardless of what you may believe about the value of their skills.

And, you know why birds often die in spite of vet care? Many times it's because their owner didn't get them treatment in time.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
More often than not the vet knows no more than we do yet there more than happy to take your money even if your bird dies. Just because the he's got that plack on the wall dosent mean he can fix your bird. You help send his kids to collage and I'll decide when it's time to go to the vet. I still believe no pet of any kind is worth thousands of dollars in vet bills.
I know of no vet like this. Vets have saved the lives of a couple of my animals, and they are prepared to offer their help at any hour of the day or night. They are very devoted to their jobs and are incredibly knowledgeable. I don't know where I'd be without my vet.

Also, if that's the kind of attitude you have regarding your pets and vets, then I don't think pets are for you. If you were very sick, wouldn't you take yourself to a doctor? And if you didn't like your doctor for whatever reason, wouldn't you go to another one?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Now that this thread has turned into a personal attack on me. The question was asked if anybody had seen or knew what was wrong with tiko. Any body that has read this forum for any time at all knows that the standard answer is " take it to the vet". Maybe a trip to the vet isent necessary if somebody had seen this, that's all I'm saying. There's a ton of knowledge on this site and that's why we read and post questions. Now you don't know me so don't presume to judge me. If you don't want me here than throw me out.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Huh, that's funny, because if you actually read my posts, you'd see that I give quite a lot of health advice that isn't "go to the vet." Suspected parasites in a flock is a very good reason to go to the vet.

And "with all due respect," you turned this personal by calling my values silly and misguided. Nobody is attacking you as a person, they are attacking your decision to tell other members that getting vet care is "silly" and unnecessary. Which is dangerous, by the way, and could get other people's birds killed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nobody said don't go to the vet. And I have read and do value your knowledge, you misunderstood the meaning here and turned this personal. The answer isent always take it to the vet. Now you can take the last shot cause I'm done. I'll still read and participate and not "hate" you for the mean spirited words.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You have a responsibility to take your birds to the vet if they are sick or you have reason to think they are sick. They ARE worth the money regardless of if you particularly want to spend the money or not. If you don't want to spend money on your animals then you just shouldn't have any, it's very simple. They are living things just like you are and if you don't respect them or care about them enough to provide appropriate treatments when they are in need then you should NEVER own one. It goes for anyone who feels this way, I'm not specifically targeting you don but I do feel that you should think about it pretty hard after what I've read.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts