Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I need some more advice. Hercules needs a new home and I am really unsure. The cage he has I believe is to small when he spreads his wings they are touching the bars.

I live in Dublin and am happy to have the right cage and perches shipped to me, happy to buy local also.

I have discovered that the store where I got Hercules do not have any experts or even people really knowledgeable about Cockatiels or birds in general. They also butchered his wings. I will not be shopping there again.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or links. I want him to have a large cage with proper doors. He got his beak stuck in the bars or the door in his current cage, and boy did he scream.

Thanks

Ed

The cage is on the floor due to advice from avian vet because of his very bad wing clipping.

From my mobile communications network

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
HQ flight cages or purvue are very popular. I got mine off of amazon.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Amazon has got excellent cockatiel spacious cages for you. Your bird is very lucky to have you , interested in information for the best care of him Congrats! All the best X xTeresa

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have purchased a new home for him photo attached. The retailer confirmed it is suitable for my tiel and the reviews are great.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That cage has 1" bar spacing, which is too big for a cockatiel. Please be careful - he could get stuck and injure himself (or worse).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Mr. Murphy,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.* We are happy to assist.

We would like to confirm that Noble Parrot Cage is suitable for cockatiel.

We are at your disposal for further enquiries:*https://www.zooplus.ie/contact/.

Sincerely,
Your zooplus Service Team

Tel:*+44 1234 430 366*(Mon-Fri 8:00-17:00 hr [GMT]; 9:00-18:00 hr [CET])
Fax:*+44 1234 430 367
https://www.zooplus.ie/con

Do you think I should cancel this order?

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's up to you, but most recommend no bigger than 3/4" (2cm) for a cockatiel.

I think the Liberta is a way better deal for the money - it's equivalent to the A&E flight cage which is one of the most popular cages over here.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's not on the listing but it looks like 3/4". If that's the case, it would probably be ok.

However, if those dimensions include the seed skirt, it is really not big enough. I see you're picking cages with playtops and seed skirts. Unfortunately most cages with them are made for larger birds. You'll have a hard time finding one that's both large enough and has appropriate bar spacing for a cockatiel.

·
Registered
507 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Cockatoo-Birdcages/dp/B002SMC25E/

This is what I believe to be the same cage, but on the American Amazon site. The interior dimensions are 24x22 which is good for a single cockatiel. There are a few answers which say the bar spacing is 3/4".

If that's the same cage and all that info is correct, that cage would be just fine. Just keep in mind it's very cheaply made, and might not last you terribly long.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey folks just an update on the cage. I was very nervous about the spacing even though my avian vet said it was fine for him. I thought (as he cannot fly or glide- wings savaged) that he was going to fall and hurt himself and even after two weeks he was still nervous just climbing on it and he would not go inside. He always seemed so happy when I brought him to his smaller cage that I decided to sell it again and look for something when he is flighted. Thanks for all the comments and guidance.

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It can take a while for a tiiel to adapt to a new home. Some are more nervous than others when their surroundings change.

·
Registered
35 Posts
http://www.cagesworld.co.uk

I got my cage from here just invade the bars are to wide. I found my boys head stuck in the gap just above his door in his old cage which lead me to getting a new one. The gap was about an inch maybe slightly less. Hopefully your cage will be ok.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts