Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've finally got my baby at home and she seems to be settling in ok. the only thing that worries me is that her poos are green and runny. is this normal or is it something i should be concerned about?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
this is normal in a bird that is stressed, which even if they don't show it they are from the move to a new envrioment, It should clear up and be normal in a few days, Some take longer than others though. But i wouldn't be concered too much unless she would show other signs of bieng ill or the Runny poo lasts longer than a week and a half

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for the quick response. i just checked on her for the last time before going to bed and i was greeted by a big yawn. i'll post pics on monday, since i don't have the internet at home. looking forward to showing u all what a gorgeous girl she is. :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Congrats on bringing your new baby home, I think it was already answered in your other thread but its normal she is probaby just a little stressed out right now with the change in homes, just keep an eye on her it should clear up in a few days.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'm so happy you've finally got her home! :D It's normal for new birds to have runny poops for a few days, but if it gets worse or doesn't clear up it might be worth a trip to a vet. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all is good. her poos are normal and she's started her contact call. she also walks up and down her perch when she wants to come out of the cage. when i lie on the bed with her she snuggles into my neck and has learnt to leave my necklace alone. she also enjoys watching dvds while snuggling. overall i think she's settled in. and of course i'm loving having her home.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bea. I have taken some pics and will try to post them tomorrow. I took some close ups of her markings since i don't think she's pure whiteface mutation. Maybe when i post them tomorrow u can tell me what mutation she is?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Ohhh, i'm really looking forward to seeing photos of your new girl!! :thumbu: I'm sure we'll all be happy to chip in with opinions on what mutation she is.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Aww she sounds like a sweetie. Can't wait to see pictures! :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys,

I'm so sorry. I promised pics and I have them waiting on my phone, but my brother has the connection I need to upload them. Also I've been off sick, and today is my first day back at work since Friday last week.

Just an update though. Screech is settling in brilliantly, and won't stop eating. Unfortunately she won't touch veggies (or anything without a shell for that matter), but I'm persisting. She had her first tantrum on Tuesday night. She was tired but refused to go to sleep and kept chewing the cage bars and climbing all over it. Eventually I took her out for snuggle time, and she sat quietly on my shoulder for a while. Well, contrary bird that she is she then decided she was ready for bed and promptly bit me when I tried to get her to step up and go back into the cage. She bit me so gently though, and she was tired so I forgave her, but made her go to bed anyway. :love: She has decided that the cat (Beast) who snuck in when I wasn't looking and climbed on top of her cage, is a fun toy, and I found her hanging from the roof of her cage with the cover held tightly in her beak as she tried to reach Beast through it. That cat is going to be her slave, he just doesn't know it yet. :D Also she has discovered my glasses and takes great pleasure in grasping the bridge in her beak and trying to pull them off my face. ;)

Just one question though, when I stroke her she latches on and makes an occasional chirruping sound. Will this stop as she gets older, or will it continue? It's the cutest thing in the world. :rolleyes: All in all I'm a doting mother who thinks her baby is the most beautiful thing in the world. Be prepared to be bored stiff as I continue to regale you with her adventures. :D

P.S. The first time she saw her reflection in my wall mirror, her crest stood up, she puffed up her feathers, and let out an explosive hiss. Then she nearly fell off my hand in fright. :love:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Good to hear everything is going so well she sounds lovely :love: as far as the stroking I wouldn't stroke anything other then scratches on her head don't do it anywhere on her body it could be stimulating her and thats why she is making those sounds :p

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Sorry to hear you've been sick...but hey, i guess you've been at home with Screech all week then. ;) She sounds absolutely adorable! I'm really looking forward to those photos.

Just a little note, cat saliva is toxic to birds, it can kill them and it can kill them rapidly. Definitely keep the cat off Screech's cage and away from anything that Screech will play with. I've heard of birds and cats being "friends" and when the bird preened the cats fur it got terribly sick because of the saliva all over the coat (from the way cats groom). Just a heads up, because i know you would hate for anything to happen to Screech. :)

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing so well :D I would only give scritches to her on her head. I also have cats and I will wash my hands before getting Spike out of his cage, better safe than sorry ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:eek: I didn't know their saliva was toxic! Oh gosh. Ok. No more cuddles for Beast. Lol. No that's nasty. I'll just scrub my hands raw. :blush:

As for giving her scriggles (mixture of cuddles and scratches :blush:) I only stroke her on the head. I read all about the problems that can come with egg laying and no way am I taking the chance that she starts to lay even if they are infertile. :wacko: She still makes those noises though and I'm just wondering if she's still in a 'baby phase' because it's alot like a very soft contact call.

Last night she didn't want to go to sleep and I heard a great big rattling. When I went to check on her she was hanging on to the bars of the cage with her beak and feet. It was the funniest, cutest thing she's done so far and I took a picture though it's not very clear. I'll post it once I get the connection from my brother. :rolleyes:

It's payday tomorrow so I'm off to spend my hard earned money on lots of little toys for the soon-to-be spoilt-to-death baby. :love:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Thinking back, i think both Cookie and Bailee used to make a sort of "chirrup" type sound when i scratched their heads when they were young. They both liked to hold my finger or my cloths in their beak and then they would make these quite sounds while i stroked their heads. Does that sound like what Screech is doing?

It sounds like Screech is going to be one pampered cockatiel!! Take some photos of the toys you get her too, we'd love to see her little toy collection. :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That's it exactly Bea! She loves holding onto my jacket's zip and gives a soft little chirp when I stroke her head. It's so cute. So they grow out of it? That's horrible. I want her to stay a sweet little baby forever. :love: But I'll love her when she's an adult too.

I'll definitely take pics of the toys. Hopefully I'll be able to find a few nice ones. I want to see what I can find to make toys for her too, unfortunately beads are really expensive here. I want to find a stainless steel zip as well because she loves chewing on the ones on my jackets.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
That's it exactly Bea! She loves holding onto my jacket's zip and gives a soft little chirp when I stroke her head. It's so cute. So they grow out of it? That's horrible. I want her to stay a sweet little baby forever. :love: But I'll love her when she's an adult too.
Cookie and Bailee both still like to hold onto something while i scratch their head, but they don't make the little sounds. Gracie sometimes makes the sounds, but never when she's with me, only when she's with my brother or dad. :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts