Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a cockatiel :wf pied: very soon and I have everything set up. one problem is that I will be going away on holiday for 2 months (obviously my mum and my brother will take care of him) but the concern I have is that the bird won't bond to me, which I want. can someone please give me some advice on what I should or can do? Thank you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wait it out!

:grey tiel: Cockatiels are AWESOME companions, but I believe you should wait until after your holiday to get one. It will get used to whoever you have caring for it, and when you show up, you'll be another new spooky human to worry about in their eyes.

Plus, wouldn't you be more confident when you are the one who knows about tiels (hopefully), where your brother and mom don't? The settling in process can be long and scary for your new baby. Especially with people who can't calm them down.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

I agree with StarlySky. The timing doesn't sound right for getting your cockatiel, and the first few months in their new home environment is a crucial time for getting your bird used to you and bonded to you. Your 'tiel will likely become friendly with your family, and once you get home, you'll be the stranger and it may take a lot more effort to bond with the 'tiel since you weren't there in the beginning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts