Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
My name is Heather. I used to frequent a bunch of other boards about parrots, but I didn't fave any tiels. About 2 years ago I rescued a female tiel and she's just the cutest thing. Her name is Trinket (after Effie from hunger games) and she's... you know... a female bird. Both hilarious, adorable, and a giant jerk at the same time. I used to keep parakeets and actually still have a keet named Linus. Trinket tolerates him. I've been keeping my eyes open for another tiel to rescue in my area, and came across one last night. His owner died and the rest of the family has no idea what to do with him. He comes with a 'travel cage' I have no idea what that means, but I have several acceptable sized cages to quarantine him in. They say he's never been handled or around other birds and that's what's making me nervous.
Any tips for how to get him used to myself and my room mate? Also how to get him to interact with Trinket and Linus when the time comes?
Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! Tiels are kinda known for being lovable jerks. :D I know Joey can be a jerk at times, but he's mostly sweet and loving, so I can forgive that. :D

A travel cage is very small, used for travel, or trips to the vet. Definitely very short term usage only. It is too small for actually homing a tiel, even when they are out most of the day.

My Joey is an only child, so I don't have any advice about socializing after quarantine. As for you and other humans, time and patience. Lots and lots (and lots) of patience. Everything has to be at his pace, and even more so with one who isn't used to hands and being handled. Lots of treats, millet and other bribery can be a great tool for teaching them to be brave. Hand feeding seeds, pellets or treats through the bars is good at first. You start to build trust but the tiel still has a bit of a safety barrier between them and the big scary human. I started hand feeding and scritches that way. He learned to love scritches but had the barrier.

Some things they take to right away, some take a while, and some they never like. Joey loves to be hand fed, loves scritches, but doesn't want to step up yet, except the time I had to rescue him and he seemed to know that was the only way to freedom. We are working on that, although I would be okay if he never wanted to. He'll step up on his food dish perch while I am holding it, and that system works for us until he decides to step up. He's landed on my head twice, my shoulder once, and my back, between my shoulderblades a few times. He seems to prefer my back even though he doesn't stay long.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi Heather. I never had two birds that got along very well (whether male/female male/male, etc.) so I never dealt much with bird to bird socialization issues. But in any case, welcome to you and Trinket and the flock, from Percy and me. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts