Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had our little cockatiel for around 4 months, I'm not sure if it is a he or she but Albert (Alberta) is quite the character. Albert learns very quickly and already whistles the Andy Griffith theme, the happy and you know it song, peak a boo, here kitty kitty, the wolf whistle, and what are you doing. I'm home all day so he is out and about most of the day. I'm going to attach a picture to see if anyone can tell me what sex they think Albert is.
Cheryl

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Cheryl,

Welcome to the forum. First of all, did you get Albert as a baby? If so, did he have pearl markings when he (or she) was younger? From the looks of your picture, I would say a male especially if he is whistling and talking that much! either way, that's a fine looking bird you have there!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Welcome! Yes it does look like he has 'ghost pearls' like my Percy. Nice looking bird :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I got him at around 5 months old, he is so entertaining and makes us laugh. I'm older and I am with him all day and he has become very attached. I'm afraid I'm not very up on the colors, so are pearls the white dots on the underside of his tail? If so, he had white dots but they are now gone. I appreciate the comments.

·
Registered
975 Posts
A pearl tiel has the scalloping on feathers like this one:

The females keep this pattern, but the males lose the pearl feathering and look more like a 'normal' gray cockatiel after their first few molts in life - there can be faint traces of white like your bird has that remain visible that are called 'ghost pearls'. It looks like Albert has them in your pic so he probably looked more like the bird in the pic here when he was a baby. I don't know much about genetics so that's my understanding of things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.