Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All,

Wanted to say hi to you awsm ppl !!!

I recently got a 'tiel from a breeder ( apparently its a 9 month old male). Also, wanted to seek your expert guidance on few things :-

1) Is my bird really male? I have had him for a week now and have hardly heard him speak. he does make heart shape wings and doesn't have bar sort of design on his tale but the spot on his cheek is not really red. ( unable to upload a pic :-( )

2) I stay up late in night and get up very early in the morning, will this disturb my birds sleeping pattern ? I do cover his cage from 9Pm to 7Am in the morning ( 10 hours )

3) He doesn't play around much nor does he sing/talk l. Mostly sits on a perch.However, He eats alot. I am feeding him green veggies, fruits, 'teil food and seeds - he mostly prefers seeds!!

4) Is it possible to tame a bird without trimming his wings? he eats from my hand but doesn't let me pet him ( taking it slow as i dont wanna stress out the bird)

5) when will he start to molt?

Any help will be highly appreciated

Best regards,
Mario

·
Registered
350 Posts
1. As far as I know, budgies and ringnecks/alexandrine parrots are the only ones that you can sex with absolute certainty without a test. I've known people with cockatiels and cockatoos were their bird showed several signs of one gender and a DNA test showed they were the other! Unless you want to do a DNA test, there's really no way to know for sure. A lack of barring doesn't necessarily indicate a male; while adult males won't have barring, there are females without it as well. And it is possible you simply have a quiet male, especially if he's still readjusting to his new home (give him more than a week). Over time you'll probably be able to draw conclusions from his/her behavior, or you can do a DNA test to know for certain. (Also, the colorfulness of the feathers is a very inaccurate indicator)

2. Cockatiels are great at adjusting. My Kirby has adjusted to my being up until around 1, 1:30 Am and then getting up at anytime between 8-10, and even now that I'm going to bed earlier and getting up earlier he'll usually still be up when I go to sleep and will still be asleep when I wake up. Covering the cage will allow you to control how much sleep they get, but if you don't have to cover it they will usually sleep however much they need to (if Kirby doesn't get enough sleep at night he'll nap during the day)

3. If he's eating pellets and veggies as well as the seeds I wouldn't be too concerned. And like I said earlier, you've only had him for a week, so he's still adjusting. I adopted Kirby in March, and he didn't start getting remotely active until about May, maybe even later. Give him time, and offer him plenty of toys and opportunities to be active. One thing that really helped me to encourage Kirby was when I got him a playground and jungle gym, and when I would set him on the counter/desk/floor/table to explore.

4. Petting is usually one of the things that come last when gaining a bird's trust. First try to get him to step up (there are other threads here on how to do so), then try interacting with your face. Your nose is a beak to him, so most birds are more likely to allow you to touch them with your nose or kiss them before they allow petting (though my weirdo Kirby's the other way around...).

5. Here is an article on cockatiel molting: http://www.internationalcockatielresource.com/molting-periods.html

·
Registered
350 Posts
From the back that guy looks like a pearl. If he doesn't lose his pearls (those white spots) even a little bit within about two years, it's almost definitely female. Some males can take longer to lose their pearls than others, though, so you'll have to be patient.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1) Is my bird really male? I have had him for a week now and have hardly heard him speak. he does make heart shape wings and doesn't have bar sort of design on his tale but the spot on his cheek is not really red. ( unable to upload a pic :-( )
Cheek patch color does not determine sex in tiels. Heart wings is definitely a male trait. His is face bright yellow or grey? About how old is he?

2) I stay up late in night and get up very early in the morning, will this disturb my birds sleeping pattern ? I do cover his cage from 9Pm to 7Am in the morning ( 10 hours )
Ten hours is not really enough sleep time. 12-14 is recommended to reduce hormonal issues that tiels tend to have. Even if you are covering him, he can still hear you and may not actually be sleeping.

3) He doesn't play around much nor does he sing/talk l. Mostly sits on a perch.However, He eats alot. I am feeding him green veggies, fruits, 'teil food and seeds - he mostly prefers seeds!!
He is in a new environment and is scared. It's going to take him a while to settle in and play. Tiels are mainly seed eaters, so that is not unusual, but keep offering the other stuff as they are good for him!

4) Is it possible to tame a bird without trimming his wings? he eats from my hand but doesn't let me pet him ( taking it slow as i dont wanna stress out the bird)
It is possible. His wings do not need to be cut to tame him, but it is harder to catch him outside his cage. Tiels do not like to be pet, as that stimulates them as if they were mating. Head scritches are fine but petting their back is a big no no.

5) when will he start to molt?
This depends on his age. Babies start molting around 3 to 6 months of age, but some molt as late as a year. If he has already molted and is not a baby, then there's really no way to determine when this will happen.

Good luck with your new baby. You can upload pictures via the go advanced option or by using a site like photo bucket to link here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks arnabsri

@roxy Culver : thanks for your advise ...I have uploaded some pic :)

Good to know that this community is so active

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The bird looks like a pied which is impossible to sex visually. Your best bet is a blood test to determine gender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks roxy culver for your suggestion... shall do so just to kill my curiosity :)

But i am sure it doesn't really matter :).

i always keep hearing you should buy a male 'tile..Are male really so much better den females ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to bother you guys again...but today morning i played a video from uTube with 'tiel sound. My bird got all excited , started jumping around the cage and talking...is he missing his buddies.what should i do should i keep playing it or stop?? He doesnt talk without that video at all !!!

kindly guide

·
Registered
350 Posts
Don't worry about bothering us, we love to help, and trying to guess gender in tiels is a hobby of mine :)

As a rule, female cockatiels don't talk or sing. They chirp, but even that isn't as often as the males do. There are occasional exceptions to the rule, but I'd say you have a male on your hands

People often like males better because they are more likely to talk and sing (though if you want a bird to talk you need to teach that before teaching them to sing). They aren't any better than females other than that. I've also been told that males are more independent and outgoing while females are slightly more shy and clingier. However, that might not be true for all of them; I'm sure there are clingy males and independent females etc.

It sounds like he's enjoying those YouTube videos! As long as he's still getting plenty of love and attention from you, you should be fine playing the sounds.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
i always keep hearing you should buy a male 'tile..Are male really so much better den females ?
I honestly prefer females. Always have in tiels, I have found them to be sweeter and they don't go through the bratty teenage phase and try to eat me lol.

People prefer males mainly for the reasons luna mentioned above. Since I could care less about those things I always preferred my hens.

I don't think your baby is missing anything, he's just having fun with the video. That's a fairly normal response. My dogs get excited when other dogs are on tv and will pay attention to the tv because of this. It's totally normal.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I wanted to add a hello to you from Percy and me :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks tielbob and roxy culver.. he is improving with each passing day..he has started chirping even with out the video. he has started playing with his toys.. i recently got him a mineral block and some multi-vitamin ( to be added in his water ) he seems to be doing fine now..Guess has settled in now.

He loves to chew the toys and for some reason stem of spinach :)

Thanks again everyone for your support and guidance . It really made it easy on us !!!!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Do not add multi-vitamin to his water! That's a big no no. There's no way to measure how much he is truly getting and it's honestly unnecessary. Some vitamins are fat soluble and get stored in the fat. An overload of them can cause toxicity and be harmful to your baby. Unless a vet has prescribed something please don't use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts