Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Wish you all a very happy time.

We have a pair of cockatiels. We are not sure about their gender. They are 8 months old and have white feather with slight yellow face.

They don't seems to like each other. Though they don't fight they doesn't care each either. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've noticed that birds are a lot like people; not everybody likes each other, and the same goes for birds. If they're not best friends, it's okay, so long as they tolerate each other.

As for the male/female thing, I'm told that males make a lot more noise than females; if your cockatiels sing and/or talk, then they're most likely male. Sometimes, you can also tell by how colorful they are, but I've also been told that this isn't always a great way to go.

The reason I'm saying "I'm told" rather than "this is what's true" is because I learned this information from a girl who I, at one point, believed to be a very knowledgable bird owner. Then, I found out that the bird who is now my adopted son was up for adoption after she'd said with certainty that he was a long-term boarder and she'd said that, based off of his appearance, that he was probably around 15...turned out he was five! So, I'm not 100% sure how reliable her information is.

HOWEVER, I've also heard from different, reliable, sources that the noise they make can indicate gender: males are noiser than females

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi !
I have one cockatiel and two budgies and my cockatiel, Chicken only gets along with one of the Budgies and only from time to time so don't worry maybe they'll grow closer to each other.

And yes, as Lunawolfsong mentioned male cockatiels are much more vocal, females are more quiet and only chirp from time to time. I only got a young cockatiel myself and are unsure of the gender! If you really want to know the gender there are DNA tests that can be done to determine the gender of your two birdies :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome from Percy and me! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts