Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm a long time bird lover, first time owner! I was never allowed a bird as a child, and now I've finally moved out of home. Now I'm settled into my new house, I am now the proud owner of a cinnamon pearl baby, by the name of Piper!!

She's (I say she, but really I have no idea) 8 weeks old, I picked her up yesterday afternoon. So far we're bonding well, she recognises her name also (I had her breeder call her 'Piper' from a real baby!)

She's hand-reared, and I'm looking forward to getting to know her well!

I've been browsing Talk Cockatiels for the last few days, and gathered some great information on Piper's care.

Thank you everyone, I shall update you on our adventures!!

Cheers,
Annabel

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello and welcome! This forum is awesome, you'll love it.
Your progress with your 'tiel sounds wonderful! You should be great friends :)
Oooh, and you're from New Zealand? Me too! Which part are you from?

·
Registered
277 Posts
to Talk Cockatiels Annabel and Piper. :)

This forum is a great place to learn about cockatiels, and to find out about something all you need to do is ask.

Now all we need are some photos of Piper. :D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
How exciting! We have Monte and just last Saturday added Smokey so we're doing the same as you are....getting used to our new sweetie and he/she is getting used to us.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well hello and welcome! There's tons of information here. Sounds like you and Piper are off to a long, happy, life with each other.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! We're bonding nicely and she'll come out of her cage for me and give me a cuddle now which is good!!

Quick question - I have a millet holder, and I've been giving her a spray of millet to pig out on when I'm out. I've heard that too much millet is really fattening for birds - should I only be giving her it as a treat?

Currently I'm out of a camera, but here is a photo of her from about a week ago from her breeder, just before I brought her home, isn't she gorgeous??

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
If I remember right, Millet is one of the safer foods that can be given on a daily basis :)

And hello from Central Canada! Glad to have met you and Piper!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Firstly, welcome to you and Piper. :thumbu:

Millet should be used as a treat only (if I am incorrect someone will let us know :)). I am, by no means an expert but I heard they can actually get addicted to it.

You are probably better off giving her pellets and seeds, along with vegies. Skiddles likes beans (all sorts of beans) - so you could try that.

Looking forward to photos. :)

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Hi and welcome. Congrats on your new baby!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts