Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll!
[A bit of a (trigger) warning for missing birbs.]
So, I've had two cockatiels for around two years now, Romeo and Lestat, and they quite recently had a baby! (they had 3 eggs, but one wasn't strong enough to hatch and was found it too late and the other one died in their first day, I still don't know why as they were being taken care by my dad, more on that later)
The baby's currently 24 days old and I'm calling them Chamberlain for now because their dad plucked some of their head feathers out (he was kept away from the baby unless with supervision after that) and oh god do they look like a skeksis from The Dark Crystal. Both the parents and the baby were staying at my father's house (who has three other cockatiels and had other birds before and knows how to care for the adults and the baby) while I'm moving into a new apartment and two days ago my dad wasn't paying enough attention and irresponsibly left their cage and the front door open at the same time, resulting in both my lovies going out into the world. I've posted online everywhere and we are going around with flyers trying to find someone who has seen them or (even better!) them, but so far nothing. I am trying not to think much about it and stay confident about finding them, and I do think there is a good chance we will, fingers crossed!
Because of this incident, I've decided to take the baby with me while moving (we are mostly settled by now anyway) as it shattered any trust I could have in my father caring for them despite him being more experienced. He has given me instructions on hand feeding and I've been doing it for the past two days while incessantly searching for information online and locally, so I'm 100% open to advise!
Currently, I'm keeping them in the nest box they were hatched in (taking care to keep it warm, too) and taking them out only for feeding, although I've been letting them stay out a while after feeding them because I'm worried they may be too understimulated staying inside alone all day, I don't know if I can or should keep them in a different way. I still have a lot to learn about baby care and I'm doing my best to gather as much information as possible to give Chamberlain a great youth and later on a great life in general.
Well, thank you for reading! I hope we can be tiel-buddies sometime in the future :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can take the baby out to play. I bred cockatiels. I took them out once they were old enough. That’s one of the ways they get used to us and bond other than feeding. It’s also good exercise.
Your post is a bit old. I just joined the group. How are things going?
I kept my babies in an open topped aquarium with a towel covering the top

1 - 3 of 3 Posts