Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi:
I am new to this forum. My 8 year old girl that is an animal lover wants a bird. So far she has a ginney pig (trained to go up the stairs into her room and into her cage) a fish and a dog. She is very responsible. Her nickname (Self proclaimed) animal girl.
I need advice as to weather a Cockatiel is the right bird for her or not. And if it is where to get one in the San Francisco Bay area.
Thank you very much for your help.
Best Regards
Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hey Aaron welcome to the forum :)
A Cockatiel would be a great bird for your daughter, I have two tiels and they are both great with my children my 6 year old was scared at first...lol but after a couple of weeks he is the one that puts his hand in the cage and takes them out and puts them on his shoulder, they make wonderful pets, I would try typing in a internet search for cockatiel breeders in your area we got ours handfeed from a breeder or you could always try a petstore in your area good luck in your search

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think a tiel would be a great bird for your daughter.
They come with such great personalities, and are some what outgoing.
During their bluff stages they are quite cranky and some people get turned off by that, and think the bird doesn't like. It's like a teenager that needs it's space.
My tiel's going through this, but he has his good days.

You can try looking for a breeder in your area, this site might help
Birdsnways.com

or you can check into a bird that needs a new home, you can finc many on
Craigslist.com

Which ever you decide good luck looking for the right bird. :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm glad you saw the link i posted for you Aaron on talk p'lets. This forum should be a great help to you :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question:
Male of Female?
What are the benefits of one over the other in terms of behavior?
And yes we are all impressed by the trained guinea pig! :)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I just wanted to say welcome to Talk Cockatiels!! :D Cockatiels are very friendly birds, so make great family pets. I have both a male and female tiel, both are great pets. Females are known to be cuddly, males are known to be goofy and great mimickers (whistles, sounds, words, etc). As babies you can't tell the gender, so i would go into it not being too fussed on gender, and you'll probably end up with a great pet either way. ;)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I agree with Bea either one makes a great pet, Bea is right without a blood test its hard to tell when there babies what gender they are I was told my first tiel was probably a male because she was vocal as a baby but she is a female confirmed through dna so really its all a guess :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perfect.
Thank you for all the advice.
I should have a bird for my doughter in the next couple of weeks

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Well I bet she's excited!
Be sure to post some pictures on here of your new arrival! :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Congrats on the new addition! She is the most adorable thing ever (and your kids are too lol)
She seems very content and happy in her new home! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts