Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been given two cockatiels from my cousin who got them from a co-worker's neighbor. Make long-story short. I know I have a male and female and they are both 5 years old. The question is on the health of my female-- she is quiet, sits on the bottom of the cage on her food tray because I had put one down there because she's been walking around there alot. She has a big cage plenty of toys, high perches with food at level to perch. My biggest concern is she is constantly twitching her head. When I was talking to her or going up close to her I thought it was a nervous twitch. Then I thought it might be her shaking off feathers. However, I have been observing her and she does it alot. I am worried for her. I am a first time owner of Cockateils. I don't think I am overreacting. The male Cockateil is very lively, he talks up a song, whistles to the t.v. theme show "Green Acres" and he loves the mirror that is where he does all his talking. I let both of them out of the cage. He flies a little a bit, he can fly but he prefers my ceiling fan. She sits on top of her cage or once in a while she likes to be held. When she flies it is only because I go to grab her to see if I can pick her up sometimes she flies low and lands on the floor or on something and I am wondering is it because she is not familiar of her surroundings? I received them Sunday, Feb 17 th- so it's been 5 days. Oh by the way she does eat and drink her water. I would really appreciate feedback :confused:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum, congrats on your new tiels with some tiels it takes a little adjusting to get use to there new home some are really quiet, I would be a litte worried about her sitting on the bottom of the cage twitching her head its good that she is eating and drinking but I am not sure why she would be doing the other things, most cockatiels that are not feeling well usually sit at the bottom of the cage so your best bet would be to find a vet that deals with birds and bring her in to get checked.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

I agree that a well-bird check up for both birds might be a good idea. It will also give you a chance to get to know an avian vet in your area which can be really useful if you need to get to the vet in an emergency. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.