Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Kerri and for the past two years it's just been me and Blue, my male parrotlet. He is bossy and sassy and we have a very close bond. He made me work hard to earn his trust but now he is my velcro bird and we are very attached to each other. I love my little Blue Bird.

On May 30th I went to a pet store to get food for my fish and I couldn't help but look at the birds. I was immediately drawn to the Cockatiel cage and there was this one that followed me wherever I went, and tried desperately to step up onto my finger when I held it up to the glass. I was captivated.

I asked an employee if I could hold him and he said that those cockatiels were not hand fed and skittish, and tried to direct my attention to a cage with a lone cockatiel in it that apparently was hand fed.

I looked at the bird in front of me that was scrambling against the glass to try to catch my attention and asked if I could try to hold him anyway.

The employee let me, and then could not believe how friendly the bird was. He calmly perched on my arm.

I was smitten right away, and brought the little baby home.

I named him Cricket, and he is wonderful. I call him a "he" but I actually am not sure of his gender or age. The employees told me that he was a few months old but did not give me an exact hatch date.

For a bird that was "not hand fed" he is extraordinarily friendly, comes barreling out of his cage as soon as I open the door, and is content to sit on my shoulder and beak grind. I am deeply impressed by his kind and gentle demeanor.

I am not sure if he is this way because he is new and in a honeymoon phase or is this is his natural personality.

Sorry about the long post! I am joining this forum because his body language and vocalizations are so different than Blue's that I feel inadequate at reading them. I hope to learn everything that I can! I also have many questions!

Ps. Cricket is in quarantine right now but my hope is that I can one day introduce him to Blue and have them get along. I realize that Blue is a feisty parrotlet and it is possible that they may not like each other. At the very least, I hope to have their cages one day be by each other so that they can benefit from having a bird friend nearby.

PPS. I included some pictures so you guys can meet Blue and Cricket!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Welcome!

He looks young. If you notice his face getting more yellow feathers, he's a male. If not, then female. The changes will happen in his molt which is around 6 months old. He looks about 3 months old.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi Kerri and Cricket! Welcome to the forum from Percy and me. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts