Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I found this websight via a search engine while searching for answers to some questions that I have. By a miracle, my family's male cockatiel that was lost on March 10, 2010 was turned into the local Humane Society found a block away from where we live as the bird flies this last week. We had put up fliers in a 3 block radius of our home at the time he got 'lost'. I was away from home and one of my younger children had forgot to shut the doors while another child had taken our "Tweety" out of the cage to give him some love and attention. You guessed it, he flew right out the door. No one had contacted us that he had been found, and after winter came we started to loose hope. We had even put his cage outside every day in hope he would return. Tweety was a very loud singer and talker, to people this could be highly annoying. To us, Tweety was singing with happy joy..we did not mind that he was loud. Tweety was trained to do certain things. He was so loveable and had no fear of people. Everyone just wanted to take him home, was told they had never met a bird/cockatiel who was so affectionate, loving, and friendly. We had Tweety since he was 4-6 months old, and raised him to be loving. He is a part of our family, our baby. After Tweety got out and was 'lost', my kids where told that someone about 2 blocks away found our cockatiel. That person had thrown a blanket or towel over him and decided to keep him knowing we where missing "Tweety". My kids where told that this person had told them that we did not deserve such a loving bird. I had tried everything I could think of to find our Tweety, but I could not afford to put an ad in the paper. I did use Facebook and posted Tweety missing with pictures of him. One of my friends on Facebook remembered that, and has seen picture from another one of her friends who had 'found' my Tweety. That is how I found my boy Tweety, and got to bring him back home. He knew my youngest son and I immediately as soon as we opened the door. He has remembered ALL family memebers. He still has his nervous bald spot on the top of his head. When Tweety flew and got 'lost' that spot had started to grow feathers back..but now it looks like it is scar tissue. He is mostly the same Tweety as when he left, he has been home about 48 hours and is doing most of the physical tricks we had taught him. He has been itching alot, so I got some lice & mite spray to help with that. Concern it may be nervous itching, I remember he is very sensitive. He chirps and coos quietly, but does not sing or talk. He used to be very loud and vocal. Tweety did try to sing on the way home, but he sounded like a bull frog..it was so deep and scratchy. It sounded like it hurt, too. He has not tried to sing again. Noticed he flinches, cringes, and trembles in fear when we talk in a normal tone or in a loud voice. He also does NOT like his cage covered, he starts to tremble in fear. I have worked with traumatized/abused animals before, I realize my Tweety is traumatized and it will take time for him to heal. Is there any way to help Tweety regain his voice and sing happily (loudly, we do not mind)? He is recoving rather quickly in some ways, he is wanting more and more attention (acting a bit attention starved)..loves being petted and getting/giving kisses as he used to. We are mindful to watch him and to give him only as much as he can handle at a time. My main concern though is his voice, and the terror he seems to experience when he makes a louder chirp. It is so heart breaking to watch him tremble in fear, like he is going to get in trouble for being too loud. I understand it has not been long, and he will heal in time..but if anyone has any advice I will be glad to hear it. I am just so glad our Tweety is finally back home.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Oh wow what a great relief he is back home :) just continue what your doing and hopefully he will be his old self.

My cookie has stopped singing earlier this year and he will only do it when he feels like it :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum and hope to see some pics of Tweety :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Oh! Im so glad! Hi! Welcome to the forums! I hope you like it here!

·
Registered
158 Posts
WOW, it sounds like your lil one has had quite a journey! Amazing that you got him home though. I lost a Cockatiel when I was younger and we hunted high and low for 3 weeks but to no avail. I hope your bird regains his boysterous, usual self soon! Good luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
oh wow i'm so glad you found him back. i think he would've been very frightened the months he spent away from you, and the person/people who had him, may have not treated him well. i guess now the approach is to be patient and loving and it doesnt hurt to pamper the little fellow for a few days now he's home. and i'm surprised how facebook has changed our lives so much for better and sometimes for worse. i'm happy for you and i hope your children take better care of him in the future

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think I'm lost. did someone have them and you finally got him back after he flew away. Or did that person turn tweety into the humane society and you picked him up from there. either way I am glad you got your bird back:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ everyone: it is good to be here, surrounded by others who love our Cockatiels. :)

@ Sarah: All it takes is one open window or open door when one of our beloved's are excersizing or receiving attention out of the cage. BTW..We have an inner and outer door to go outside, plus now he is only allowed excersize or attention out of the cage in an inner room of the house with the door shut. Extra precautions are being taken.

@ igottafeelin: The person who caught Tweety turned him over (annonomously) to the director of the local humane society who in turn took him to the shelter, which is where we where reunited with him. Yes, we are very happy to have Tweety home. :)

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
please do not use store bought lice and mite spray on your bird it is very dangerous and can kill birds. its happened to me. i used it on some starlings i had rescued and all 6 died of poisoning. all had seizures and died. please do not use it as it may potentially cause problems.

its so good he has returned home :)

i would bring him to the vet to check for the itching (can be giardia, other parasites, or just dry skin or he could be starting a molt)

if he is a lutino or pearl the bald spot is genetic

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :D Love your name by the way, its very true I often feel like my birds own me, like Im their pet!! :p

·
Registered
211 Posts
Amazing story! So glad you got your baby back.

I would imagine with some more time passing he will become more and more like his old self.

A check up with the vet would be a good idea.

Julie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts