Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Of course at first glance, we said boy. But after 3 weeks we thought she was a girl due to patterned tail feathers, silent behaviour and no interest in mirror. But then he/she sang a song, just once a day before bedtime. What do you think?

Girl characteristics:
  1. Some patterned tail feathers (pic below)
  2. Very quiet
  3. Doesn't "strut"
Boy Characteristics
  1. Tweeted and whistled a little song twice, and said "Pretty bird"
  2. Yellow face
  3. No wing dots
We adopted him/her from a shelter. I was under the impression that dots and stripes on tail feathers was kinda foolproof regarding hens, but then she went and sang a song today so we are confused.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hm. Do you know age? I’ve had males keep their barring until they were a year old, even after their first molt. I’ve also had females with very yellow faces. Have you had teils before? If you can compare to a known male or female, the females are usually plumper through the body, males thicker though the shoulders. I lean male with the yellow and the talking though. Really never had a female who was a good talker. Also, looks like a pied of some sort - that can affect the barring and yellow face thing, depending on what the mixes are. Still leaning male though. Know anyone who can tell by feeling up their “hoo-has”?

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is a pied cockatiel, which is very difficult to tell sex by feather. Knowing the age will be helpful. Male is usually more vocal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I had a standard grey male growing up, but he died about 15 years ago, so I don't really remember his the details of his physique. He walked around whistling with heart wings, chattering all day long... so far, this one doesn't do that. This one sings a bit in the morning and again at bedtime but is silent the rest of the day. Perhaps this will change as they settle in.

He/she came to me very thin, we will see about body type once they fatten up a bit. Def a pied with spots on the back of the head and between the legs. There's a bird store that breeds near me, maybe the owner could help? The avian shelter says they were told that he/she is around 3 years, but who knows.

My daughter is dying to know so maybe we will spring for the DNA test for Xmas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts