Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Of course at first glance, we said boy. But after 3 weeks we thought she was a girl due to patterned tail feathers, silent behaviour and no interest in mirror. But then he/she sang a song, just once a day before bedtime. What do you think?

Girl characteristics:
  1. Some patterned tail feathers (pic below)
  2. Very quiet
  3. Doesn't "strut"
Boy Characteristics
  1. Tweeted and whistled a little song twice, and said "Pretty bird"
  2. Yellow face
  3. No wing dots
We adopted him/her from a shelter. I was under the impression that dots and stripes on tail feathers was kinda foolproof regarding hens, but then she went and sang a song today so we are confused.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hm. Do you know age? I’ve had males keep their barring until they were a year old, even after their first molt. I’ve also had females with very yellow faces. Have you had teils before? If you can compare to a known male or female, the females are usually plumper through the body, males thicker though the shoulders. I lean male with the yellow and the talking though. Really never had a female who was a good talker. Also, looks like a pied of some sort - that can affect the barring and yellow face thing, depending on what the mixes are. Still leaning male though. Know anyone who can tell by feeling up their “hoo-has”?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I had a standard grey male growing up, but he died about 15 years ago, so I don't really remember his the details of his physique. He walked around whistling with heart wings, chattering all day long... so far, this one doesn't do that. This one sings a bit in the morning and again at bedtime but is silent the rest of the day. Perhaps this will change as they settle in.

He/she came to me very thin, we will see about body type once they fatten up a bit. Def a pied with spots on the back of the head and between the legs. There's a bird store that breeds near me, maybe the owner could help? The avian shelter says they were told that he/she is around 3 years, but who knows.

My daughter is dying to know so maybe we will spring for the DNA test for Xmas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 92798

Of course at first glance, we said boy. But after 3 weeks we thought she was a girl due to patterned tail feathers, silent behaviour and no interest in mirror. But then he/she sang a song, just once a day before bedtime. What do you think?

Girl characteristics:
  1. Some patterned tail feathers (pic below)
  2. Very quiet
  3. Doesn't "strut"
Boy Characteristics
  1. Tweeted and whistled a little song twice, and said "Pretty bird"
  2. Yellow face
  3. No wing dots
We adopted him/her from a shelter. I was under the impression that dots and stripes on tail feathers was kinda foolproof regarding hens, but then she went and sang a song today so we are confused.

View attachment 92799
View attachment 92800
It is a pied male. The marking you aren’t the exact one.pied mutation has that markings. The below pic is a female look it has “stripes“. the second pic is the pied female has stripes becauwe of the pied it is irregular. Yours has more grey tail why didn’t you consider that more grey feathers with no stripes=male.
Even female will sing that’s due to not get a pair for long time so they make the mating noise which females produce when the male stand on her and mate not any other time exceptif they are not paired for long. Male songs are rythmic and has a tempo and good to hear. Age matters 75% in judging gender .
You can check pelvic no space between then it is a male. Has a small space between are females ( for laying egg) mostly egg layed ones has more gap in between . All needs experience.
hope you’ve got what you need

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.