Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a newbie, i've never kept any bird, so choosing one seems very hard because there is so many different types, some people have told me that cockatiels are very dusty and it could affect my asthma jus wanted to know if this is the case? Also because i have a flat i need a bird thats be quiet, are cockatiels loud? and how would you rate cockatiels as a first bird and as a bird over all? thanks saj! ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Saj!! I hope you will enjoy yourself here. I have not yet got a cockatiel yet, so I cannot comment on how dusty they are, but if you want not much noise then don't go for a male! (males tend to be more vocal). Generally cockatiels are great first birds, but maybe as a real starter bird a budgie might be more suitable, but it depends how big you want to go lol, and to be honest you might find you get a better bond with a cockatiel than with a budgie. ;)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi there welcome to the forum :) yes cockatiels can be very dusty and may affect your asthma.
Cockatiels are the messiest of all pet birds , and scatter the most allergy-inducing dander and psittacosis-carrying saliva throughout the house.
There are ways to reduce the dander such as air filters but I don't think I would take the chance of getting one and then having to give it up.
I have heard of some people with asthma that do have cockatiels and manage but I have also heard of many cases where people had to give them up.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Cockatoos and cockatiels have powder down which does result it a lot of dust, especially during moults. So yes, it might affect your asthma. Frequent misting, vacuuming and an air purifier would drastically reduce this and you may be ok.

In regards to needing a quiet bird i would say a female tiel fits that requirement perfectly! They're also sweet and cuddly. But you'd still be taking a chance with the dust. A budgie might be better, but they tend to chatter a lot, which may not be quiet enough for you. I'm not sure where you live an what's available but there are small grass parakeets like bourkes or linnies that might be ok too.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
another choice could be finches but there is nothing better then a bond between you and a cockatiel they are verry tame if you get them from a good breeder who hand feeds them mine never leaves me alone but he does has his time alone i would say research before you think of what you want to buy also reasearch the cage size as well that is important and be sure you get one wit5h proper bar spacing

we do welcome you to the group

1 - 5 of 5 Posts