Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.... :p I know I haven't been on in a while.... just letting you guys know how everything has been. Bekham has been doing so friggen amazing!!! Hubby and I went to go and get his nails clips and the lady at the pet shop freaked out on me!!!!!! She asked why I clipped Bekhams wings myself and why I cut them too short??? I'm like "lady I bought this bird from someone else and this is how his wings came!!!!" and she carried on to tell me that the wings are WAYYYYYY to short and only 1 side is done, and that's why bekham flies in circles AND I need to let them fully grow in!!!
ontop of that she also said his nails were so long that whenever she touched his feet he'd freak out and i told her that's the way he's been and she said no, his nails looked like they have never been sharpened or anything!!! Which made me realize, when I got bekham his nails were long and he only had 2 perches in his cage which were tiny lil' flimsy plastic ones! Poor guy had nothing else until I came. Now he has variety!!!
She said it'll take some time for his feet to get better! Poor baby got butchered at this other guys house!!! She ALSO thinks he was malnutrisioned (however you spell it)
At least he's in good hands now!!!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
I am completely against clipping wings on one side...while i do clip my birds wings i do it the way it was shown as posted by Aly...its a good guide to go by. Look up wing clipping 101
Mikey

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
She's right! The one sided clip is not cool. It's a good thing Bekham is yours now. It's obvious that you care about him and want the best for him. If you didn't you would never come looking for a site to answer questions. Some people don't care enough to do that. You have already thought more about his care than his previous owner did. I think you're on the right road. Thanks to you so is Bekham!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Did you take him to a Petsmart type place to get his nails done?

if So Kudo's to that chick for knowing her stuff!

Also I know his wings need to grow out but The other side also needs trimmed (of course not butchered) or he's going to end up severely hurt - If it hasn't already been done.
When we trim our birds (every one is different but I got lucky and the same amount gets trimmed on all mine)

I only trim the first 5 flight feathers from the outside in
and when we do ours we only trim them so they "tuck" neatly right under the rest of the wing. If that makes sense - if Not I'll try to find a good picture lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awwww sweetrsue that's so very sweet of you to say!!! I actually took him to pj's pet center... i've ALWAYS gone to petsmart but lately... they have been garbage!!!!!!!! I'm talking G-A-R-B-A-G-E!!! rude, inconsiderate, out of stock, unknowledgable.... it's been discusting and i've gone there once a week minimum for over 8 yrs of my life!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes He realy needs both wings done. he is off balance with only one done if he falls he could break his keal bone please have his wings balanced out as soon as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.