Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get Lorenzo switched over too pellets a few months ago after a lot of trouble. Now, I'm trying to integrate fruits and veggies into his diet. I have tried all different types and he refuses to even touch them. I've tried putting them in his dish with the pellets so he associates them with food and have also put them in a separate dish. Yesterday at petsmart I saw that they had some dried fruit that also had different nuts mixed in with it. I thought maybe I would give that a try but he hasn't gone near that either. My vet told me to try putting the veggies in a foraging toy to encourage him but he won't even play with the toy when I put millet in it.

It's so frustrating because I know how healthy the fruits/veggies would be for him. Has anyone ever dealt with a tiel that is this picky before and had success?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got my sweet Kana for about 3 weeks now trying to give her veggies & fruits as well but without any success also -.- she can clean up the whole food cup with the pre-made bought food and even nitpick the grains of any fruit I've put in there but the fruit stays untouched crying alone in a corner hahahah.

My guess is that she'll get to it at some point and will be even happier. If she's happy eating the pre-mades for the moment then it's fine with me!

P.S.
She runs away from millet. Whenever she sees the millet stick it's like having the worst nightmare lol.

Just replying mostly to say don't give up you are not the only one! They'll get a bite at some point and understand that it's goody good.

----------
Noekeon

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Your cockatiel should have access to seed as well. It's not healthy to feed him just pellets, even if you feed veggies with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you get Lorenzo to eat stuff out of your hand? I got Nimbus into sweet potatoes by smushing some around a pellet and feeding it to him between my fingers so that he couldn't get the pellet without getting some sweet potato, too. After that, he was quite fond of sweet potato.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eduardo - He does gets seeds as well, not just pellets. Just trying to balance his diet out with some fresh foods.

Wafflecat114 - He won't eat anything out of my hand. For some reason he is very protective of food. If I even try to get him to step up while he is near his food dish he will try to bite me. I might try that strategy though, with putting sweet potato around some pellets or millet!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It will take time. Keep offering fresh food daily, I know it seems like a waste, but eventually he should start eating it.

What worked with my guys was hanging leafy greens from the cage bars, shaving the tops of broccoli onto their regular food, putting some grated carrot in a bowl with a little millet, and making up a large plate of a few different veggies and herbs to put on top of their cage while they're out. Eventually their curiosity got the better of them and now they love their fresh foods. I did notice that the texture kind of put them off at first; they would shake their head because the carrot was wet. You can buy dehydrated vegetables at some pet stores, that might be worth a go. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will take time. Keep offering fresh food daily, I know it seems like a waste, but eventually he should start eating it.

What worked with my guys was hanging leafy greens from the cage bars, shaving the tops of broccoli onto their regular food, putting some grated carrot in a bowl with a little millet, and making up a large plate of a few different veggies and herbs to put on top of their cage while they're out. Eventually their curiosity got the better of them and now they love their fresh foods. I did notice that the texture kind of put them off at first; they would shake their head because the carrot was wet. You can buy dehydrated vegetables at some pet stores, that might be worth a go. :)
Thanks! I'll try hanging some stuff from the cage bars, that's such a good idea! I got him in July and so far nothing has worked. I bought a mixture of dried fruits, veggies, and nuts this week and haven't had any luck with that either so far.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have now tried hanging greens from the top of the cage and shaving broccoli into food. He still hasn't tried either!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Autumn wasn't raised eating veggies, but she loves to chew kale and broccolini stems. I just clip those in her cage every day, and they're like edible toys for her. She also likes to destroy baby carrots.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cutie loves only beans , apple , pomengrate a lot. I also offer fresh carrots to her which she never eats:(.

Hope she eats them some day..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts