Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fun/joy/headache started all over again!!

This time, same daddy as Gucci, but mommy is the pastel face.

Mommy laid a clutch of 4 eggs, only 3 hatched, and unfortunately, 1 baby passed a few days later due to unknown reason (to me). 2 surviving babies and, man, are they doing well. They are much larger than Gucci around this age as it seems the parents have learned from their mistakes from the past clutch. Both babies, although a few days apart, are growing rapidly at the same rate. Both being well fed by all 3 parents, yes it's the lutino mothers turn to help out. The oldest hatched on 9/20, while the other one is 2 days younger.

what do you think? pastel pied babies???

question: I will be going on vacation starting the 21st of October for 2 weeks. I was planning to pull the chicks after the 3rd week for hand rearing, but that's a bit conflicting as I won't be able to take care of them. I was going to teach my mom how to feed them since they'll only need about 3 feedings a day by then. Or should I simply leave them inside with the parents until I get back from my 2 week vacation to pull them? Would that be too late? Harder to socialize?

and just for kicks, my budgie also has her own to take care of, hatched about the same time. Same aviary, and don't worry, they leave each other well alone. I don't plan on pulling the budgies....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Wow adorable!!! They look like they are going to be possibly normal grays, I dont see any white flights or tail feathers but I cant really see the flights too well so if either of them have any clear ( aka solid white or yellow) flights or tail feathers then it is a pied, Im not sure on cheek patches though looks like one is going to be a regular cheek patch( the one closest to camera I can see orange pins) the other baby Im not sure on it could be pastelface though.

I think do it whatever way you want, I tamed a 5 month old parent raised bird I think you can tame 5 week old babies if you try :p

sorry that wasnt a very helpful answer!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha not at all... I appreciate the comments!

I'll try to update with better pictures in a few days, while I give them some time to grow in their feathers. It's harder to tell them apart as each day passes since they are growing up so quickly. The older one has longer crest at this point so that what I've been using to differentiate. On both, I do start to see some yellow pins coming down the back of their neck area as well as some yellow blemishes on their flights. Too early for classifying gender I suppose? What may be some indication to look for on PF babies??

I'll update with some better pictures tomorrow...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts