Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Rocko has changed soo much from the first picture I also have one question when I got first got rocko i had his wings clipped a small bit i know how to clip their wings but while I was doing it i stopped because i wanted to keep him flighted do you know how long it will take for the cut feathers to be replaced he has been moulting and has taken out atleast two

·
Registered
648 Posts
Do you mean his pearl (the scalloped patterns on his wings and back)? When male cockatiels go through their first moult their pearl will usually start to fade. This doesn't happen in females so if that's what you're talking about rocko is more than likely male.
How old is he?

*edit* never mind I just saw the counter in your signature. He's past his first moult but he could still be slowly losing the pearling.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean his pearl (the scalloped patterns on his wings and back)? When male cockatiels go through their first moult their pearl will usually start to fade. This doesn't happen in females so if that's what you're talking about rocko is more than likely male.
How old is he?

*edit* never mind I just saw the counter in your signature. He's past his first moult but he could still be slowly losing the pearling.
Yes I'm talking about the pearls look at the first picture he's lost so much pearls they are fading slowly I'm hoping for him to turn out male if he is then he's a quiet male he does chirp often and make little cute sounds could he be shy

·
Registered
648 Posts
It took me ages to realise that the male I used to have was losing his pearls because I looked at him so often and it happened so slowly lol. I didn't notice until he'd lost well over half of them. I can't really tell for sure from the photos but yeah if his pearl is fading then it's probably a boy. Not all males are super loud, depends on their personality.
If you really want to know for sure then you can always DNA sex him, it's not very expensive and then you can be certain. Also if you're buying a new cockatiel like I've seen you mention it would be very good if you knew rockos sex so you can get another of the same sex. Otherwise you may very well end up with a bunch of babies, but not sure if that's what you're looking to get. It is cute but also a big responsibility and can be very time consuming and difficult (especially if you end up having to hand rear them!)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took me ages to realise that the male I used to have was losing his pearls because I looked at him so often and it happened so slowly lol. I didn't notice until he'd lost well over half of them. I can't really tell for sure from the photos but yeah if his pearl is fading then it's probably a boy. Not all males are super loud, depends on their personality.
If you really want to know for sure then you can always DNA sex him, it's not very expensive and then you can be certain. Also if you're buying a new cockatiel like I've seen you mention it would be very good if you knew rockos sex so you can get another of the same sex. Otherwise you may very well end up with a bunch of babies, but not sure if that's what you're looking to get. It is cute but also a big responsibility and can be very time consuming and difficult (especially if you end up having to hand rear them!)
Do u know where i can get a DNA test. And I am looking to get a Male cockatiel and i want to name him Loki so if Rocko is a male it would be good then the new cockatiel will also have his own cage im trying to get a hand reared one.Those silver cockatiels are lovely I think it be very hard to find one.also I was supposed to get rockos harness today but my mam didnt have money the bank couldnt give anybody their money today for some reason so i have to wait until tuesday when my mam gets money and then i will harness train rocko and i want Rocko to be fully tamed before getting another tiel unless the New tiel was hand reared and i will also quarantine them and keep the new bird in a different room

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's very good you're going to quarantine them. I quarantine mine for 6 weeks which is what all the avian vets have told me is the recommended time period. Some people do less but the vets told me that 6 weeks is really the minimum you want to do, more if you can. I'm also super careful to wash my hands and change my clothes when going between the two birds, because I definitely don't what to go to all the trouble of quarantine just to turn around and carry a disease in on my hands or tshirt lol.
Harness training can be really hard and time consuming, I'm hoping to try it with my girls one day but I don't have high hopes since they don't really like me touching their wings and you basically have to pull their wings through the straps so they'll probably make a huge fuss. Hopefully rocko is good about it!
I'm in australia so the places i would use to DNA sex my birds would be different to where you would. Here we have places you can send off feathers in the mail and they tell you the sex but I haven't used those, I went to the avian vet and got blood taken and did it that way. It cost me $35 Australian dollars but I know the the tests that you send off in the mail cost less. Do you have an avian vet? You can call and ask how much it'd cost you do or google if you have labs you can send off to by mail in Ireland.
Not sure about how easy the silver cockatiels are to find. I've heard of them but I haven't seen them here in australia, we have platinums which are silvery but they are exclusive to australia I think.
Tell you what's a really good book if you're interested in learning more about cockatiels, it's called "a guide to cockatiels and their mutations as pet and aviary birds" by dr terry Martin and Diana Anderson. It's a bit pricey, cost me 50 Australian dollars, but it's really good. It explains genetics, goes through all the mutations in detail, tells you about hand rearing, housing, first aid, breeding, feeding. Everything.

*edit* Ps. I think 50 Aussie dollars is about 35 euro, which is what you guys use in Ireland right?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's very good you're going to quarantine them. I quarantine mine for 6 weeks which is what all the avian vets have told me is the recommended time period. Some people do less but the vets told me that 6 weeks is really the minimum you want to do, more if you can. I'm also super careful to wash my hands and change my clothes when going between the two birds, because I definitely don't what to go to all the trouble of quarantine just to turn around and carry a disease in on my hands or tshirt lol.
Harness training can be really hard and time consuming, I'm hoping to try it with my girls one day but I don't have high hopes since they don't really like me touching their wings and you basically have to pull their wings through the straps so they'll probably make a huge fuss. Hopefully rocko is good about it!
I'm in australia so the places i would use to DNA sex my birds would be different to where you would. Here we have places you can send off feathers in the mail and they tell you the sex but I haven't used those, I went to the avian vet and got blood taken and did it that way. It cost me $35 Australian dollars but I know the the tests that you send off in the mail cost less. Do you have an avian vet? You can call and ask how much it'd cost you do or google if you have labs you can send off to by mail in Ireland.
Not sure about how easy the silver cockatiels are to find. I've heard of them but I haven't seen them here in australia, we have platinums which are silvery but they are exclusive to australia I think.
Tell you what's a really good book if you're interested in learning more about cockatiels, it's called "a guide to cockatiels and their mutations as pet and aviary birds" by dr terry Martin and Diana Anderson. It's a bit pricey, cost me 50 Australian dollars, but it's really good. It explains genetics, goes through all the mutations in detail, tells you about hand rearing, housing, first aid, breeding, feeding. Everything.

*edit* Ps. I think 50 Aussie dollars is about 35 euro, which is what you guys use in Ireland right?
Yes we use euro in ireland in Australia would u see wild cockatiels and other australian birds just sitting in your garden on a tree or something it be cool to live in a country that has parrots. Also rocko lets me hold up his wings he just dosent let me hold them up for too long he will start screeching if i hold them up too long also im gonna look for those mail things your talking about i think i saw a website for that and u pay online. For my new cockatiel i want either one with a yellow head and white body and dark eyes or a white face or basically any nice colour I like ive never seen a cockatiel i dont like lol they're all soo nice rocko has started taking treats from me since yesterday before that all he would take from me is millet and I touch Rockos wings everyday to get him used to having them touched i dont think it be a problem with harness training

·
Registered
648 Posts
That's great, maybe he'll be good about the harness then.
Nah I don't see cockatiels in the wild where I am, I'm in the wrong part of australia for that, but I see a bunch of other parrots all the time. They're everywhere here but I never noticed until I really got into birds.
Those sound cute. So far I've got a lutino and a whiteface cinnamon pearl pied, they're so cute I can't stand it lol. I'm going to be getting a pastelface in a few months and I'm totally excited, they're one of my favourites but they're hard to find in Western Australia. I'm jealous of places that have yellowcheek and yellowface mutations, those are so nice but we just don't have it here. Do you know if you have yellowcheek or yellowface in Ireland? If so I'm super jealous lol

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great, maybe he'll be good about the harness then.
Nah I don't see cockatiels in the wild where I am, I'm in the wrong part of australia for that, but I see a bunch of other parrots all the time. They're everywhere here but I never noticed until I really got into birds.
Those sound cute. So far I've got a lutino and a whiteface cinnamon pearl pied, they're so cute I can't stand it lol. I'm going to be getting a pastelface in a few months and I'm totally excited, they're one of my favourites but they're hard to find in Western Australia. I'm jealous of places that have yellowcheek and yellowface mutations, those are so nice but we just don't have it here. Do you know if you have yellowcheek or yellowface in Ireland? If so I'm super jealous lol
I will have a look for the yellow cheek or yellow face and i will let u know i got my 9 year old sister wanting a cockatiel now she was scratching rockos head and getting him to step up yesterday lol i told her she could help take her of the new bird right now im gonna enjoy my large double cheese burger meal from mcdonalds im soo hungry i didnt really eat anything today except for strawberries lol im gonna have a look for the yellow cheek and face

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aw what a cutie
Thanks i love him soo much did u see my topic before that i posted about rocko well if u didnt ill tell you before i even started training rocko he was still a bit afraid of me and still settling in i let him out of his cage for the whole day like i always do and i went downstairs for a minute i didnt know my sister was out of her room her bedroom door was open and her window wide open she also went downstairs because she ordered food and my bedroom was very hot at the time and rocko must have sensed cool air and while i was downstairs my sister came back up and called me i came up I saw rocko at the wide open window and i told my mam she went outside so she could see him if he flew but he didnt fly he was just sitting at the window enjoying the air I tried to get him to come to me with millet but he didnt come i didnt wanna scare him into flying but my mam said try closing the window and i got it closed after that i gave him lots of treats for not leaving me and never again will i leave my bedroom door open while im out of the room or have the room too hot i was very scared that day and i will never forget it. I love him soo much hes one of the best pets i have ever owned parrots really know how to show that they love you back. Lol the amount of didnts in this

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also i forgot to mention rocko is fully flighted but he only flys when he wants to go somewhere he dosent go for laps around the room or anything lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts