Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so Henry is about 7 - 8 weeks old. (hatched in the week starting 11 November) Sadly of the 6 were hatched Henry is the only survivor. I attempted to hand rear them after finding a dead chick in the nest and a mother hen attacking another chick. However my efforts of saving them all, failed. Henry alone is still with me and maybe I am being an over protective mama, because I watch him like a hawk.

Henry is eating formula 3 times a day still, he also grazes on millet seed, wild bird seed, egg & biscuit mix, spinach leaves & broccoli (although he only seems to bite at it not actually eat it) He seldom drinks water, but I am not concerned because he is still on formula, and I have seen him have a few sips of water. His droppings are a little runny but I put that down to a change in formula as my partner bought the wrong one. he is a little bit underweight at 72 grams, but no amount of food seems to fatten him up. He doesn't put on weight but he doesn't lose weight either.

I am, however concerned at his behaviour. When we had all 5 birds, my partner made a small nest box and put in the cage for them. Henry spends all his time in the box, he will come out chirp and chirp to be fed. After his formula I put him on the coffee table with seeds and he will graze on them. If I put him back in the cage, even with seed on the floor and in two containers he will not eat, he simply goes back in the box. He is not sleeping, he is just standing in there occasionally chirping. He only seems to graze on seed or veggies if he is on the coffee table.

If I take him out of the box and put him on a perch, he will climb down and go straight back in the box. Before the others died he seldom went in the box, except at night to sleep, but now he spends all his time in there.

Is this normal, considering his age?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Do you think he may be feeling lonely from the loss of his siblings? It could also be due to his illness. I hope little Henry starts feeling better soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts