Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I would at least keep one of my babies, but it seems Henry is going the same way as the others.

He is sleeping puffed up on his perch, he is not interested in flying when I let him out and he is refusing food but I have seen him drink some water. He fights me when I try to give him formula but I thought that was because he was weaning. I force fed him last night and this morning. His crop feels ok, but he is pooping dark sticky droppings.

I think he is going to go the same as the others, because all the symptoms are the same as Speedy & Sheldon.

My nearest avian vet is 50 kilometres away. I am not sure if there is anything more I can do to encourage him to eat.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Poor little guy! Joey and I are sending scritches, prayers. hugs, and all our thoughts of comfort and hope.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poor little guy! Joey and I are sending scritches, prayers. hugs, and all our thoughts of comfort and hope.
Thank you for your good thoughts. I just hope he pulls through.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sounds like he needs urgent vet attention. I hope he pulls through.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am so sorry, things have been awful for you lately. I hope he turns around and feels better tomorrow. Prayers being said for him...

·
Registered
878 Posts
So sorry that your little boy is ill :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe some veggies he could eat?
Hugs for you, let us know how is he!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Henry is still hanging in there, but I am taking him to the vet today, his weight has dropped to below what he had been maintaining. He is still not eating, he only drinks when I put him in front of the water dish. I have offered him vegetables, fruits, millet spray, egg & biscuit mix and still giving him formula and electrolytes. I put him out in the sunshine over the weekend because I thought some vit d might do him some good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Henry has coccicidosis - it's possible the others had it too, but at least we have a diagnosis and medication. Since coming home from the vet and his first dose of medicine, he seems to have picked up..another couple of days to tell for sure.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Good that you have a diagnosis now, and it can be treated! I pray that you continue to see improvement every day, and he is well in no time at all! You are doing great with him :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sending good thoughts your way for little Henry. Get well soon little guy. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly Henry passed away overnight. He was still warm when I went to check on him at 4 am, he is now buried with Sheldon & Speedy.

I am never going to let this happen again. I am selling/giving away the adult cockatiels except for two pair. 14 is way to many for an inexperienced person to deal with and these little birds deaths have really caused me a lot of emotional stress.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry :(

I'm sure you'll be able to find lovely homes for them. I can imagine it would be very stressful for you and the 'tiels themselves.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh no...I am truly sorry about little Henry, you must be devastated to have lost them all. I am sure you will find good homes for the ones you are rehoming. Saying prayers for you.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'm sorry to bring this up during such a hard time, but please discuss rehoming with your vet. Coccidiosis can be very contagious and all of your birds are exposed. I know you'll want to make sure precautions are taken to avoid spreading this to any other birds.

·
Registered
878 Posts
So sorry you've had so much disappointment and loss with the flock. It was so good of you to work so hard to give them your best - much credit to you for taking on such an enormous task (the inheritance of a huge flock.) Your kindness and tireless efforts to help them is remarkable! :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sorry to bring this up during such a hard time, but please discuss rehoming with your vet. Coccidiosis can be very contagious and all of your birds are exposed. I know you'll want to make sure precautions are taken to avoid spreading this to any other birds.
None of the adult birds were exposed, the chicks have been out of the nest in a cage in the house for a month. I have been keeping a close eye on the adults. They are fine.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Henry has coccicidosis - it's possible the others had it too, but at least we have a diagnosis and medication. Since coming home from the vet and his first dose of medicine, he seems to have picked up..another couple of days to tell for sure.
Phew! Thankfully the condition is treatable :) And good to hear he's perked up! Got my pom poms shaking for more good news!

EDIT TO CORRECT: Awww...poor Henry :( **Hugs**

1 - 20 of 20 Posts