Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Henry is about 6 - 7 weeks old and is eating seed, millet spray, egg & biscuit mix and still getting a formula feed, so he is well on the way to being weaned. BUT he bites, when I take him out of the cage for a fly around he bites my fingers, while I preparing his food he will fly to my shoulder and bite me on my cheeks, ears or neck.

Sitting quiet on the couch with him on my shoulder, he bites face, ears, neck, cheek or any other part of me he can reach. Is this normal, I thought it might be because he is experimenting with what he can eat. However it hurts, how do I stop him before it becomes a habit? Or will he just stop as he gets older?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sounds to me like he is just testing the waters...maybe a firm "no" when he does it. The less you react the better, or he might start doing it to get your attention (even if it's negative attention). He is still awfully young, so its probably something he'll outgrow too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like he is just testing the waters...maybe a firm "no" when he does it. The less you react the better, or he might start doing it to get your attention (even if it's negative attention). He is still awfully young, so its probably something he'll outgrow too.
Thank you, that's pretty much what I thought.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Definitely don't let him get into the habit of that!! It'll only get worse when he is 6-7 years and decides it is super fun to grab your ear when you're trying to put on your makeup or brush your teeth like my Ira does if I happen to let him on my shoulder X_x

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely don't let him get into the habit of that!! It'll only get worse when he is 6-7 years and decides it is super fun to grab your ear when you're trying to put on your makeup or brush your teeth like my Ira does if I happen to let him on my shoulder X_x
Ok I will try to stop him from forming a habit, but he is already claimed by a new owner who I am sure will also stop him from biting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts