Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of cockatiels(male is a normal grey, female is a whiteface cinn pearl pied). they have mated. and mated and mated. so set up nestbox, calcium and mineral block given. she destroyed 2 large cuttlebones. went into nestbox…...no eggs......waited....nothing......so I assumed maybe I have two males.....then I checked on them.....hey! and egg.....problem is...it wasn't in the nestbox. it was below a perch. so I was thinking maybe for some reason she came out to eat, and laid an egg??? that was 3 weeks ago. she is still in nestbox constantly. and if I come in my bird room and she is out, she runs right into the nestbox. How long should I let her do this? Can I take the nestbox away? The male will go in at night and sleep with her, so I know its not cause she is scared of him. just weird. never had a breeding pair do this. and I know im going to get some hate for being a breeder....but before you start in on me.....I only have 4 cockatiels I only breed them once a year, and ALL babies get placed in great homes. I am not breeding for profit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they are male/female. when I had doubt, I had them surgically sexed. they also were checked by vet. I was afraid maybe she was egg bound. but he said they were in really good health. they get fresh chop, vitamins, seed/pellet mix and fruit.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
If she was egg bound she wouldn't be able to poop, so if she's still pooping then that's not a problem. If she still isn't laying eggs then it might be best to take the nestbox away for now and let them try again later. Since they're new to each other, she might not be feeling confident enough yet to lay eggs with him. She might be hoping that her previous mate will turn up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts