Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first clutch, however the hen laid the eggs outside the box , infact on the cage floor. A total of three eggs laid up till now but all outside the box. I put these eggs inside the box but they are not interested in going into the box.
Is it possible they do not like the box which I provided. What shall I do for the next clutch. Shall I change the box entirely with a new one ?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Check the nest box size and the material you used for the nest. Is the nest box too small? Does it have enough room for both 'tiels when they want to go in? Maybe it was in a bad location and you should try putting it closer to food and water. They don't like to move far away to go get that when coming out of the nest box, females especially.

I think you could probably try it again one more time in a new location, maybe close to where they have their nest now. If it doesn't work then maybe you want to get another nest box.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Is the pair bonded? Do neither of the parents want to go inside the box? I would rethink breeding these two together if they don't seem interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The material I used was wood shaving. This does not settle well inside the box and remain fluffy since the wood shaving is curly. What should be the best nesting material ? Any advice please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cock was frequently going inside the box before the clutch. The hen never got inside the box and laid the egg outside the box. May be she did not liked the box setting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts