Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cockatiels had babies,which are now about 6 weeks old. The parents have recently been breeding all the time again & we got back today to find an egg on the bottom,what do I do? They already have 3 6 week old babies & I'm worried. The babies have fledged the nest so I took the box out yesterday & the older 2 are starting to eat for theirselves but all three still get fed by their parents. What do I do?:confused:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
It's normal for parent birds to try for a second clutch when the first clutch are almost weaned. If you don't want the babies i would leave the nest box out, and if the mum lays more eggs on the cage floor (in the absence of a box) just shake them really well and leave them in there until she's bored. Shaking the eggs addles them and stops anything ever developing. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is natural dad would take over feeding her if you do not want her to raise another clutch you can buy dummy eggs which you replace with the real eggs she would know no difference its natural but if you decide to let have another clutch let her.
Dad will take of care of the chicks she has already got make sure she has got plenty of calicum its really up to you what you decide

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys thanx for the really helpful comments. Well how could I not want more babies,these three are gorgeous but I was just worried the parents wouldn't cope. Now as you have said about the dad takes over with the babies they already have I noticed he has being doing it anyway so it was me that didn't realise. As long as they can cope I will put their box back in later & look forward to more babies & try & think where I'm going to put them all lol. Thanx guys again :D

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Goodluck and make sure they get lots of vitamins and calcium from their food. Having all those cute babies takes a toll on their overall health. Try and post pics if you-would love to see them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are sweet ain't they:D hope you have more babies soon i will say though after her third clutch let her rest by removing the nest box

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Having one clutch is alot on parents, esspecially the mom. I don't think even healthy hen should be allowed more then two clutches.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So do you think I should allow her to have this clutch & then take the box out? What do you use for nesting,last time I got some advice from a pet store who gave me a bag of woodshavings & peat. The peat is very hard to find,any ideas? I posted a couple of pics by the way,just ignore my ugly mug lol. Thanx :D

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I agree with Aly I wouldn't allow her to have more then two, back to back is hard enough on them but to have three in a row :eek:

As far as nesting material I would be careful using woodshavings, pine or cedar chips/shavings should be avoided all together, alot of people just use paper towel as nesting material.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
She really won't need nesting material- I would also say avoid the wood shavings-the dust is not good for them and the babies's respiratory system. IF and ONLY if you think she's strong enough and healthy then you can allow her to have this second clutch.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Nesting material is pretty important actually, it helps prevent splay legs in the chicks. I use the wood shavings you buy from the pet shop to put in rodent cages with my budgies, the same would be just as good with tiels.

I also agree that two clutches should be the maximum, it's good to let the parents have a very long rest after that to recover. It's hard work for birds to raise a clutch of demanding little chicks! :D I would also have a second cage ready to remove the chicks to as soon as they can eat on their own. The mum will likely start picking on them in an effort to keep them away from her new eggs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
you do need something in the nest box you should really be careful wood shavings has mum and dad sometimes feed the chicks them.
There's a think in england called easi-bed which is made for horses but a lot bird breeders keep them it basically thin pieces of wood but soft wood and parents birds can not feed the chicks them

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
me again. so if i used paper towels do i put it in whole or in shreds or what? my hen is healthy & hasn't shown any bad feeling towards the chicks regarding the egg, i think it helps as they got a massive cage. she's not layed any more so far. in all honesty i didn't expect her to be laying again so soon. how do i prevent her having any more after this clutch? i know you are supposed to up their dark time but they are at it when we turn the lights out.:confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
All you can do is replace the eggs with dummy eggs she will sit on them for 21 days odd then relise they will not lay but if they want to breed believe m
e they will keep trying my kakariki's did something similar to me last year she had her first clutch then 5 months later she had another i took the nest box off and she layed in the quail house she raised another clutch in there :eek:this year she didnt get the chance because the quails are tame enough now not to want there house

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
me again. so if i used paper towels do i put it in whole or in shreds or what? my hen is healthy & hasn't shown any bad feeling towards the chicks regarding the egg, i think it helps as they got a massive cage. she's not layed any more so far. in all honesty i didn't expect her to be laying again so soon. how do i prevent her having any more after this clutch? i know you are supposed to up their dark time but they are at it when we turn the lights out.:confused:
I would line the box with a few layers of shredded paper towel it will give the babies a firm grip on the floor, keep in mind some birds will throw the paper towel out, shavings are still widely used but I have also heard that the babies can swallow some of it and it can cause problems but I have no real experience with that, I have also heard you can use a washable disposable rubber mat to minimize slippage I think I would stick with the papertowels and see how they do with that but I am sure you will find many different opinions on this ;)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If you go down the wood shavings route, remember shavings and not dust. It seems a lot of people get confused with the two and dust can be inhaled and swallowed by the chicks, shavings can't. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys just thought I would stop by & give a quick update :) She has now laid 5 eggs & they are due to hatch from Christmas day onwards,couldn't ask for a better present :D Ok guys how do I go about giving my birdies a good rest? I don't want to seperate them so come on guys help me out plz? Hope all have a great Christmas :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts