Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought in an owner surrender cockatiel from my place of employment. He was sitting outside the door with a note attached stating that the owner had recently become homeless and her birds deserved better. He appears to be clean and disease free but he is currently in quarantine just incase. I did a slow switch from the fatty generic all seeds blend that were in his cage to Zupreem All Natural. I'm worried because I cannot for the life of me get him to eat fresh vegetables. I even attempted to mix a few berries in there in hopes it would entice him to eat it but he will only eat his pellets. He has an appointment in a few days to get a full panel ran to get an all over internal idea of where his health stands but due to COVID it is going to be a drop off so most of the communication with the vet will be limited. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I usually buy vegetable once a week. All my birds love spinach leaves. Some of them love cauliflower, carrot, green peppers, all of these can be stored well in refrigerator for a week. The whole carrot in fridge for a up to a month. And Cockatiels in wild actually eat fresh grass. If you can access fresh grass, give them daily is perfect fine, they will love them. Mine love fresh bamboo branches, which is giant grass. Fresh tree branches or twigs, are fine too. You have to make sure these tree are none toxic to cockatiel.

I don't think fruits and berries are good for cockatiel.

I personally have no problem with seeds mixture, as long as not too much sunflower seeds in the mixture. All pellets are processed food, not matter organic or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We got our cockatiel about a week ago and have been having a similar issue. We give him the same seed mixture (some kind that had vitamins in it) that they fed the birds at store we got him and have begun to gradually mix it with the cockatiel food... but now he only wants to eat the sunflower seeds from the cockatiel mix (I've begun to pick most of the sunflower seeds out thinking he will try something else).

I will say that both our parakeets wouldn't touch anything besides seed for the first 2 weeks we had them. So i used similar tactics I used to get my human kids to eat healthy stuff by chopping the veggies up and so fine and mixing it in with seed so they don't notice it until they like it, now they'll eat other things even if just tiny amounts. But because our cockatiel wont touch anything besides the sunflower seeds that is failing.

I dont have much experiance with birds, and cockatiels even less but I have noticed that with our parakeets they do have their own personal preferences, when one parakeet loves her spinach while the other is a glutton for bananas. It took work to figure it out with them. Eating things in front of them first so they know its safe like we were their royal food tasters(our son named them Queen Darwin and Khal Drogo so its fitting) and trying new things to find what they like. Im guessing ut

It hit me today to try putting the seeds our cockatiel likes inside the fruit with only tip sticking up so he has to work to get them out and maybe even have fun doing it... I am hoping that when he attempts to pick the seeds out and gets a taste of the juice from fruit, and decides he likes it.

If it works I'll let you know.

I want to add that its awesome you adopted the cockatiel and are giving her a good home. Shes fourtunate someone like you who is willing to take time and learn how to take good care of her took her in. We have had 2 dogs we adopted that were abandoned, and it can be a lot of work with animals that are already grown, but I think they understand and appreciate it all the more.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts