Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:pearl: Kimchee has bonded to me. (I think) whenever she gets scared she runs straight to me. She loves when i pet her and is hand tamed. I have 3 problems .
1. She nips a lot. How can i get her to stop?
2. How can I get her used to other people. My mom wants to play with her too but she will bite if she try's to do anything but hold her.
3. I know she doesn't get enough sleep at all. I put her to bed at 8 and wake her up at 8. But I share a room with my sis and she hates Kimchee and is loud until around 11. Also my dog barks ALL night long! Well until 2 or 4. I have an empty closet in my room I put her in to sleep in to dround out the noise and play soft music. Should I get rid of the music?
How can I help her? Thanks in advance! :pearl:

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
First off, please properly title your threads. Always using help is not very helpful to members who are navigating the forum. Thank you.

As to your questions:
1. She nips a lot. How can i get her to stop?
Nipping is normal for tiels. It's how they say no. If you want her to stop, stop doing whatever it is that is causing her to nip you as she obviously doesn't like whatever it is.

2. How can I get her used to other people. My mom wants to play with her too but she will bite if she try's to do anything but hold her.
Your mother will have to spend time with her, offering her treats and possibly feeding her to get Kimchee to realize that she's not scary. Tiels tend to bond to one person, so it's not surprising that she isn't as into your mother as she is to you.

3. I know she doesn't get enough sleep at all. I put her to bed at 8 and wake her up at 8. But I share a room with my sis and she hates Kimchee and is loud until around 11. Also my dog barks ALL night long! Well until 2 or 4. I have an empty closet in my room I put her in to sleep in to dround out the noise and play soft music. Should I get rid of the music?
Any way to stop the dog from barking? I put mine in a kennel at night and cover them, don't hear a peep all night and I have two big dogs. For her, the closet and music sound helpful, do you cover her cage as well? She should be fine and any sleep she isn't getting at night, she'll get during the day while you're gone.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree with everything Roxy said, including that about the title; usually when there's that symbol and "help!" it's an emergency.

One thing your mom can do is feed treats and just spend time around the cage talking or singing to the bird. Slowly build up to having your bird step up for your mom. You can use taming methods for this, there are plenty of threads around the forum about taming.

A soft bite (where they don't put any pressure behind it) is usually communicating that they don't want something or are unhappy. Depending on the situation, this can be trained out by giving them the opposite of what they want, so that they don't think biting will get their way every time. HOWEVER, it's important to be able to understand when a nip is negative behavior and when it's acceptable. For the most part, soft biting is just communicating and is not bad behavior.

Keeping your dogs in a small, dark, quiet room will usually help a lot with the barking. If your dogs are kept outside you can get a kennel and cover it up at night, as Roxy suggested. A good brand for kennels is Midwest Home For Pets; their crates are really great.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would put jack in a kennel but I know him. He HATES being locked up. Even if a door is shut he will not stop barking. So I know he won't go for that. Also I'm only 14 and I can't afford a kennel. How important is it that I stop his barking? If it is really important I could stay up all night with him and every time he barks I can put him back to bed but it would be a pain! Also sorry for the title, this is my first bird and I don't know anyone who knows anything about birds so I get really worried about little things. Sorry again and thanks! :pearl:

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Just title the threads for what they're actually about. I.e. this thread could be titled "Some questions about my new tiel."

As for the dog, staying up is not necessary. Whatever sleep your baby isn't getting at night, she will make up for it during the day when you aren't home. She might eventually get used to the barking, but as long as it's not causing night frights she should be fine. I kennel trained both my dogs so that is possible but you have to stick to your guns. It's easier when they're puppies but I've also taken strays off the street and kenneled them and they've been fine as well. Where does the dog sleep at night if not in an enclosed area?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Kennel training is fairly easy if done right. If the dog is already freaked out by the idea of a kennel than it simply takes longer. Here's an excellent video explaining the method I used, which worked excellently (he takes awhile to get to the crates, you can skip ahead to about 5:20): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG-gyJP8op0

Other than that I agree (again) with what roxy said. Cockatiels are highly adjustable. If you can get some quiet time during the day (like when everyone's at school/work, or during a study hour, or something) he/she can catch up on their sleep during the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts